Page 1 of 2 [ Search found 18 matches ]
Posted: Sep 27, 2011 6:27 

Reflection: 15 Years
1996 – 2004

The birth of the monumental horror game, Biohazard

Survival horror.
Though now a standard genre, fifteen years ago, it had neither shape nor form in video gaming.

As the early 1990s saw decline brought about through the collapse of the Japanese economic bubble, excitement within the video game industry grew more and more with the introduction of a new generation of hardware that would succeed the current 16-bit and 32-bit systems: the PlayStation ("PS") by Sony Computer Entertainment ("SCE") and the Sega Saturn ("SS") by Sega Enterprises (now Sega).

The industry quickly transitioned from the 2D graphics used up until that point, to 3D graphics, which utilized a new technology known as "polygons," and various game manufacturers focused their strength on the development of game software that displayed 3D graphics. However, if a game was to make it to store shelves, games had to be racers or RPGs, or otherwise had to follow traditional genres, which meant that games that utilized the maximum potential of a game hardware's specs were not being made.

Through such circumstances, Capcom, the company known for producing fighting games, quickly entered both the PlayStation and the Sega Saturn's development camps, and from them came one brand new title. Indeed, that game was "Biohazard" ("BH1"). The game's genre was "survival horror," a first for home video game consoles. Capcom's consumer development team initially developed the game in order to gain development experience, but the title grew to become a full-fledged project.

The development concept was genuine horror action that raises a player's level of immersion through the removal of parameters shown on the television screen. That isn't to say that there were no earlier games that utilized horror elements; rather, it was rare for a game like Biohazard to bring both horror and action right in front of audiences. Some game fans took notice of the game and were expecting something new. However, as new games come with tall hurdles, the release date came amidst a lack of excitement.

On March 22, 1996, Biohazard was released exclusively for the PlayStation. Using the catchphrase "A game that exceeds movies, survival horror that makes one shiver has arrived!" the Biohazard series took its first step toward becoming something that should be commemorated. In terms of initial sales, the game was well received in spite of being new property, and while its position was low, it would regularly appear in the rankings of game magazines. Interest in the game spread through word-of-mouth. After nearly one year passed, which felt like watching paint dry, sales eventually exceeded 1 million units. We can say that the primary reasons the game became such a big hit were because of the game's depth, cutscenes that were of similar quality to movies, and careful storytelling that gripped gamers' hearts and wouldn't let go.

We used real life footage for the opening cutscene, a rare move at that time, and used English voices with (Japanese) subtitles because we actually wanted to make something akin to a movie. And although cutscenes such as those that have creatures suddenly break through glass are classic fabrics of horror films, the game would have an impact to the extent that players would scream in shock at these scenes while forgetting that they are playing a game.

The game's story could be seen from the point of view of both Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine, members of the S.T.A.R.S. Special Forces team, and the game employed multiple scenarios that would play out depending on the actions and choices of the player. Chris and Jill's scenarios greatly differed in their combat abilities, weapons and partner characters; Chris was particularly skilled at knife-based combat, which spawned instances in which fans would clear his scenario using only the Combat Knife.

While the game's theme revolved around the concept of desperation and horror, the logic of solving puzzles using objects such as the crests and cranks, the execution of combat using real firearms, as well as hidden features such as unlimited ammunition and alternate costumes, were placed throughout the game, allowing players to taste that sense of catharsis when they overcome their fears through the use of their own abilities, and also that feeling of beating the game. This is the perfect balance. The games in the series that followed have stayed true to the event that is now a Biohazard tradition: the climactic countdown sequence that has players' adrenalines pumping.

At a glance, this looks like a game in which players simply hunt for monsters in a mansion, but actually, behind this superficial view is the subtle presence of a suspenseful conspiracy involving a giant corporation that constantly betrays players' expectations - in a good way.

At the time, there were various opinions on elements such as the "tank controls" that would confuse players each time the camera angles changed as well as the blind spots that existed as a result of those fixed camera angles. But in fact, these were directly connected to the game's charm. Rather than serve to frustrate players, they promoted the element of fear during exploration, and since the game naturally encouraged players to pour their own emotions into the game, this was an important and successful example of a gameplay style that was born out the limitations of game hardware.

To elaborate further, the "door sequences" that would play when going from one room to another on the map played a part in upping the game's level of fear. These door sequences were implemented towards the end of the game's development because it would be quote boring to see nothing except black loading screen sequences every time the player enters a new room. When someone plays through the game, although the doors simply open slowly while the camera zooms in, the game stirs the fear within players that arises just by wondering what may be lurking beyond the door. Players should notice that this allows the level of tension to remain throughout the experience.

Through these elements, Biohazard turned the normal conventions of home video games upside down, and at the same time, opened up a new path of entertainment that was only possible with the next-generation of game hardware.

Five months after the birth of Biohazard, the first Tokyo Game Show was held. We felt that this international event hinted at prosperity for the game industry, and that Biohazard would comfortably move forward as well.

The game made PlayStation history as a long seller nobody saw coming. The following year, Sega Saturn and PC ports were released. The same year, Biohazard Director's Cut was released, which contained, among several new features, episodes not contained in the original version, as well as a new Beginner Mode, which was included in response to PlayStation players who felt that the original game was too difficult to finish. We had earned the support of one fan after another.

Ryutaro Hashimoto Cabinet is inaugurated.

Koichi Wakata flies aboard Space Shuttle Endeavour.

Pocket Monsters Red and Green are released by Nintendo.

Biohazard (PlayStation)

Tokyo Big Sight opens.

Yahoo! JAPAN service commences.

Nintendo 64 launches.

Dolly, the world's first cloned sheep, is born.

The Atlanta Olympics commence.

Marine Day (Umi no Hi) is becomes a national holiday.

The first Tokyo Game Show is held.

The Hiroshima Peace Memorial and Itsukushima Shrine are registered as UNESCO World Heritage sites (cultural heritage).

Original Japanese from BEAMS T x BIOHAZARD: HISTORY THE ELEMENTS ANNIVERSARY BOOK.
Pages 8 – 11.
Published by Capcom.
Translated by cvxfreak for Biohaze.com, September 27, 2011.

http://www.e-capcom.com/ec/srDispProductListProductLink/doProductTreeLink/1/1/A10003179/10/10/srDispProductList/
Posted: Dec 25, 2011 12:59 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwL9TnjckHY&hd=1

Covers the whole series from top to bottom with timelines, profiles, analysis and artwork. 440 pages of biohazard goodness which has taken me the last three years to write. It will be updated with Revelations and Operation Raccoon City and then will be uploaded to Biohaze for free in the spring.
Posted: Jan 30, 2012 21:31 

Got mine today, can rip it for everybody and throw it on BiohazeTV.
Posted: Mar 09, 2012 0:13 

News Bot wrote:
sounds like it is being spoken by a 14 year old trying to sound manly.

Isn't that what ORC is to begin with? A 14 year-old trying to be manly.
Posted: Mar 16, 2012 3:10 

Do not buy this game if you're looking to play it for single player. If you plan to buy it for multiplayer as your main focus, go for it. But, do not expect anything worth anything out of single player.

Campaign is VERY short. I started playing the game around 5-5:30pm, somewhere in there. Had beaten the campaign by 11pm. That's like 6 hours of gamplay and that's about it. And that's only thanks to deaths and learning what to do etc.

Levels seem large when looking at the maps at times, but, they're extremely linear, really very little exploration involved and there really is absolutely 'nothing' to the game other than run and gun.

Storyline is absolutely atrocious. Do not even expect the game to even 'try' to tie itself to the existing canon. It's so far removed it's not even funny. The great majority of scenes are so out of place and the levels you visit are bland and boring. 80% of the game has you either on the random streets or in the Umbrella Laboratory. That's about it. The 5 seconds you're in the R.P.D. allows you to access Chief Irons Office, the hallway outside there, the rooftop and the main hall. That's literally it. You do not get to explore any of the R.P.D. beyond that, not even the front of the R.P.D. because once you head out the front door a cut scene plays and you're pushed beyond it.

Any of the classic characters you encounter (which include Hunk, Nicholai, Ada, Leon, Claire & Sherry only) are so shoe-horned in and forced it's not even funny. Again, the game makes zero attempt to try and make any of it fit with the games, it just is and that's all there is to it.

The story for U.S.S. themselves is extremely pitiful and boring, the boss battles are mundane and the ending(s) are so worthless and anti-climatic it almost makes you wonder why they even bothered. The game feels entirely like they made it as a multiplayer game and tacked on the single player campaign as an afterthought.

Also the whole 'Kill Leon' thing that they advertised so heavily? It's NOTHING like what you expect it to be.

It's simply a choice in the very final level of the game where you pick to either kill him or not and then get stuck in a moronic final battle against your own team. Two decide to defend Leon and two decide to Kill him. And that's the final battle, half the U.S.S. versus the other half of the U.S.S. and it's absolutely abysmally stupid.

And there's no cut scene regarding his death. You simply empty enough bullets into him and he falls over and the cutscene starts with him already dead.

There's no CG endings, no real finale, no nothing.

Gameplay isn't even that great. AI partners are 100% worthless and will do nothing the entire game save possibly shoot or melee an enemy off of you once in a blue moon. Outside of that, they will either stand around and do absolutely nothing, or shoot endlessly at nothing and never manage to kill anything for you or help whatsoever.

The game is also very glitchy in terms of hit detection and collision detection. You'll be firing at enemies and often not even dealing any damage for unknown reasons until you reposition yourself. Herbs or items may be right in front of you but you'll run up to them and not even get an option to use them until you run around in circles until the dialogue box decides to finally pop up. There were also a few herbs and ammo drops that refused to be picked up despite the fact I needed them.

As far as controls go, they're alright although nothing amazing. It's pretty standard fair for a TPS. If you've played Uncharted 3 you should know what to expect. None of it really feels very smooth though. Like in RE5 if i'm running forward and reach a spot to jump off of, I instantly get the prompt as I'm running and can transition from running to jumping instantly. Here it's like I have to run and 'stop' at the spot to get the prompt to jump down, thus leaving no transition whatsoever. It feels clunky that way.

I aim at zombies heads and shoot them dead on and often no shot even registers especially when using the handgun. Grenades seem almost pointless a lot of times because the detonation time between when you toss it and when it actually blows up is pretty long. So tossing it into a group of enemies ends up having the enemies or even zombies having LONG cleared out away from it by the time it finally explodes. About the only time a grenade works on a group is if the group is stationary and doesn't see you, which is rare.

Melee's aren't smooth either. It relies more on you mashing Circle in whatever direction and hoping it hits whatever. Yet, don't expect to get any kind of invincibility frames like usual. If you do a melee, enemies can still hit you. So if you decide to do a melee finisher, enjoy watching your health dwindle as you perform the animation.

Then there's the wonders of getting attacked so much that you can't even get up. I've had Hunters and Tyrants smack me and then stand over me and the second I get up, smack me down again, wash rinse repeat until I died with me being able to do NOTHING in the meantime.

Boss Battles are extremely worthless and dissapointing and rely on you simply emptying your clips into enemies and run over to the infinite ammo drop box in the corner when you run low and grab one of a dozen herbs littered throughout the area when you're low on health.

There is no strategy or depth to any of the fights. It's literally just you circling them to avoid attacks while unloading ammo into them until they die. About the only 'strategy' involved is that most of them won't take damage unless you hit them specifically in the head or the heart, that's about it.

There's also absolutely zero adlibs in the game. So unless you plan to voice chat with mics, don't expect to have ANY way to communicate with your partners when playing online with others.

Perhaps if the SPEC OPS campaign was included from the start, the single player might not be 'as' bad because at least that would give what? 10-12 hours of gameplay from two full campaigns? Then it might feel more worthwhile and content full. But, as it is, being all there is is an extremely short U.S.S. campaign for a single player mode, it's pretty much garbage.

Maybe if the single player mode didn't feel like worthless shit that leaves such a bad taste in your mouth when it's done, maybe I wouldn't be so dissapointed right now. Honestly, I knew the game wasn't gonna be anything amazing. I'm just so dissapointed at how lackluster the whole campaign is. It's just so pointless and shoe-horned in.

There's no sense of continuality either. Each mission just happens with no explanation of what the team was up to in between, and their whole storyline and plot are so poorly done. Cut scenes and dialogue are absolutely garbage. Every single thing is pretty much "Oh this is your mission! Oh ok now that we showed that char or B.O.W. forget about that mission, we don't care anymore." and that's that.

Tried to play Multiplayer but obviously not a single person is on it right now so I can't. Hopefully that will at least be fun because I'm so turned off by the single player. Single player is literally Left 4 Dead in third person to be honest. No better way to describe it. Though somehow Left 4 Dead managed to make more care more about the damn survivors which is sad.

I did play through the whole game in co-op online with my buddy though. There's no local co-op but online co-op was fine. Honestly, I think that's the only reason I even remotely had 'any' fun with the game was because I was playing with my friend. Again, the AI is so worthless and useless that playing solo would be such a chore and absolutely boring. Thankfully we used the vita's party chat to communicate throughout since there was no adlibs etc.

Honestly, the only real things I enjoyed in the game was hearing a remix (not even a great remix mind you, but a remix none the less) of Nemesis Final Metamorphasis during the Nemesis battle and hearing a remix of Tyrant's RE2 final battle theme during his fight. And also Moonlight sonata plays at one point (randomly on a piano with no one playing it. It's so shoe-horned in it's not even funny). That's it.

Anyway, that's the end of my rant for now. Really hoping I can try multiplayer soon to give me a better impression of the game.

Just really dissapointed with the game, which is really sad considering my expectations were incredibly low to begin with.
Posted: Mar 24, 2012 1:42 

Insert

I'm the writer of a story. I write a story and leave the ending up in the air and rather ambiguous as to what happened to the characters. All readers have their own vision of what may have happened.

Later on down the line, I then say in an interview, "Hey so, I've been asked many times and well, this is what actually happened".

Guess what that means? THAT is what happened. It doesn't matter if I never included it in the books. "I" am the writer. It is "my" story. Therefore what I say goes. It doesn't matter if I said it in an interview. I am the one who gets to decide anything regarding my story.

Look at Harry Potter. No where in the books does it say Dumbledore is gay. Yet, Rowlings said he is, therefore he is. It's canon fact regardless of whether it's in the book itself, he's gay.

So this whole "If it's not in the games and not in the english games, it doesn't matter" crap is moot. Sorry to say but if I'm native english and write my story in english and it gets translated into german and the german translation butchers the translation, that doesn't make what the german version says override what the english version says.

Capcom is a japanese company that makes these games in japanese first and english second regardless of where they are most popular. The original japanese source material will always override the english translation in full no matter what you say or think.

Again, as the writer, I dictate the story and have full control and say over what is and isn't about it, not you the reader/player. You do not get to pick and choose what is canon and what isn't, I do.

If I come out and tell you in an interview that the latest book in my series is not canon and is simply an Alternate Universe, then that's what it is. You trying to piece it into the canon and refusing to acknowledge what I said doesn't change the 'fact' that it is not canon and is AU.

So again for the last time. I am the writer, what I say goes. You are the reader/fan. What you say regarding canon means absolutely nothing.

ORC is not canon as stated so by it's owners. The japanese material regarding what is canon and not canon in RE1/2/3 etc. is what is canon and what goes. If they say barry/rebecca/chris/jill/brad all escaped together from the mansion despite that never happening in the original game, then that's what happened. Same with everything else in the series. That is all there is to it. No amount of "opinion' from you can change 'fact'.

And I just have to laugh at your comment about:

I really do not put any faith on material outside the games, especially material not even released in English where the games sell most. If something was really important it would be in the games, if it was even slightly important it would get an english release.

How ballsy of you to believe, let alone say that anything worth anything should be in english and that everything else is basically gutter trash since it's not english. This is probably one of the most disgraceful and ignorant comments I've read from anyone on this site in a long, long time.
Posted: Apr 01, 2012 14:40 

http://www.biohaze.com/news/nohopeleft.gif

Update - Happy April Fools' Day, Biohaze!

Today the viral blog dedicated to Resident Evil 6 has been updated with a new entry.

" We are close to finding out who is behind the mystery shut down back in February. Our logs show multiple DOS attacks from New York based IP addresses. Interestingly, while checking the FTP server, we found two pictures of a woman. Could she be the responsible of all this? We will have to keep investigating.. "

Picture 1 | Picture 2
Posted: Apr 25, 2012 8:16 

http://www.biohaze.com/news/rc_logo.gif

Biohaze is proud to bring you an early, yet complete and accurate English translation of an interview between Japanese game magazine Famitsu and Biohazard staff member Masachika Kawata. The interview appears in the May 10/17 issue of Famitsu (Vol. 1222), which goes on sale tomorrow (April 26) in Japan.

The interview talks about Kawata's involvement in the Biohazard series, his thoughts on Operation Raccoon City, and the future of the Biohazard series, to which Kawata specifically mentions wanting to do something related to horror in response to Revelations' critical reception.
Click here to see the interview in its entirety. As always, credit to Biohaze is appreciated.
Posted: May 19, 2012 16:46 

Here you go Paul:

Image Image Image
 Post subject: Magazine Scan Database
Posted: Aug 06, 2012 22:07 

Some time ago I started a 'database', to call it in a way, of all the articles I could find in magazines about the series. It's been always fun to read them and there are occasions when you find tidbits of information you've never read anywhere else. And for some of us it’s just a memorabilia moment go through the pages and recall reading them years ago or having that particular Issue on hand and be excited about this or that game prior to release. The problem with most of the scans around is they're not organized and mostly presented in bad quality; meaning that if you want to quote some article for whatever reason, you can’t do it in an appropriate way -not that it matters to most of the people anyway-. I tried to organize them all by NAME, #ISSUE, MONTH, YEAR and PAGE NUMBER, as well as including the magazine cover. But as I’ve been doing this all by myself there will always be something I miss or misplace.

I’ve been working on this for more than I like and I can’t keep up with the never ending task they represent as there will always be more and more issues of magazines out there. I’m handing all of them to whoever wants to help and expand the database and correct whatever I screwed up. I’d have liked to share them in a more concise manner, due to the difficulty it represent to update just one name or replace one image and quickly change it on everybody’s version of the database, but I lack the knowledge and tools to create an online version of it (if anyone is up to the challenge of making one I’ll be delighted). I did upload them to Project Umbrella’s FTP server but for different reasons it was counterproductive for the purpose of the whole thing. Right now they’re all hosted in my Rapidshare account until they get erased or someone else comes up with a good way to have them online.

As of right now, the database has around 1900+ images organized and other 280+ I haven’t been able to index correctly as I don’t know the necessary information about them to include them in the Index file. The images are of different sources including articles like Interviews, Previews, Reviews, News and so forth. As I catalogued everything on an Excel table with a sheet for every magazine, I came up with three general categorizations to keep everything tidy:

ISSUE:

• NUMBER
• MONTH
• YEAR

These are self-explanatory. But I’d like to point out that I only included on the indexed part of the images those for which I know at least two of these three subcategories. For example, I included the Feb 2012 Issue of XBOX World but I don’t know what Issue Number that is, or, the Issue #1 from 1997 of the Polish’s PlayStation Plus Magazine, whatever month that’s from.

CONTENT:

• TYPE: What kind of content is featured on the Magazine. I generalized the possible types as: Walkthrough, Preview, Review, Full Interview and Interview Quotes (as there are times the journalist does not include the complete Interview but only some quotes as he feel they’re relevant), Chart (some 1st place in sales for some week or month, for example), Editorial, News, Tricks, Poster, FAQ, Advert and everything else I didn’t know where to put I named it Article.

• GAMES: What games are featured in the Magazine.

• TITLE: The title of the Article.

• AUTHOR: The name of the journalist if available.

• DEVELOPER: Only included if there’s a Full Interview or Interview Quotes. Otherwise it’s just n/a.

• BETA CONTENT: As I went through the magazines, there were occasions that although the article itself was from a period of time after certain game was released, some images or information in it were from a stage of the game before its completion, and sometimes it was just plain and simple beta content we all know. I noted it here with a YES or NO. Keen eyes will be able to spot the differences, but I accept there are times I could’ve been wrong, so whatever notes in this regard will be appreciated.

Sometimes I found magazines that had content related to the series, but I had not the chance of getting my hands in any copy of it. So the whole CONTENT category is empty (and there are not scans of them either, obviously), for those magazines this category is filled with a Yellow color. If I was unsure of one or another thing I included in these fields I filled them with a Yellow color too. So a double check on that would also be appreciated.

PRESERVATION:

• STATE: There are three possibilities here. Scanned (in Green) is the optimal for every image, Photographed (in Yellow) which is a bummer as most of the times you can’t read easily the content or Not Scanned (in Red) as I know that particular Issue has information but I’ve been unable to secure it and scan it or find it online.

• FRON COVER: I prefer to have the Front of the magazine scanned too, as it gives you some idea of what magazine exactly we’re talking about. YES or NO goes here; obviously the YES is the ideal.

• PAGES: The range of pages the content is featured. If there’s more than one article in the magazine I listed them in two lines as they most likely will have a different TITLE too, and possibly a different AUTHOR.

• WATERMARK: Not having a watermark is the goal. There will always be people who don’t like to share whatever image without putting some mark on it first, for whatever reasons they have.

• QUALITY: There are two options here. One, if the scan is of the Full Page or just a Cut-out of the relevant information, the ideal is the whole page. And two, if that same scan is in an Optimal quality (in Green), as in “I can read it without trouble”, Medium (in Yellow) as in “I have to make an effort to read it, but I can do it anyway”; and Low (in Red) as in “Holy shit Horatio, enhance, enhance!”

• THANKS TO: Finally there’s the Thanks column. Here comes the name of the person that scanned the image or provided it. If the scan had a watermark I listed here whoever that watermarks belongs to. If someone provides a watermark free copy of a previous watermarked image they would get their name instead. Again, if I’m unsure of whatever info I put here I filled the cell in Yellow. I also might have failed to list every single source I’ve come across, given that this started a long time ago and it has evolved into a much bigger thing I had initially envisioned.

Part of the mayor challenge of this database is that I didn’t only take notice of the magazines I know had content of the games, but also the ones that didn’t. Those that have no content are listed with an Olive color filling the whole Line. So for whoever wants to help, you don’t have to double check the Issues presented that way, as they have no content about the series whatsoever.

I separated the whole chunk of images into two folders; you can do with them as you want once you download them. A MAGAZINES folder where there’s the whole indexed part of the images from the Excel file, and an UNSORTED SCANS, where I put all the other images not included in the database so far. In this last folder you can find they are all separated by name of the magazines and one UNKNOWN folder with 66 images I haven’t been able to know what magazine are they from. Here are the links for the download:

MAGAZINES
PART 1
PART 2
PART 3
PART 4
PART 5
PART 6

UNSORTED SCANS:
DOWNLOAD

UNKNOWN:
DOWNLOAD

INDEX
EXCEL FILE

There’s still a lot of magazines online I haven’t been through, and this was a project I’d have liked to share after I had exhausted all of them, but other matters have come into priority and I don’t think I’ll have again the same amount of free time I had before to keep with it. You are assured to find interesting information (that some know already and some others no) about 1.5, DASH, SENGOKU BH, BIO PROTO and much more other stuff in there. It’s all in your hands now.
 Post subject: Re:
Posted: Sep 06, 2012 21:30 

Innit. People are far too sensitive, that's all it is.

It makes me laugh so much when people tell me (and boy we've had some laughs!) about the latest reports made about me. Then when i'm done laughing, I fear for those poor fuckers who probably won't make it a day out in the real world.

Plus the idea of "reporting" someone is hilarious in itself. In my world, if you've a problem with someone - you tell them, you don't run behind their back to Mummy haha!

In a weird kind of way, I'm handing out life lessons. Embrace it. Thank me.

Yes, in a very weird kind of way. We're on a fan site and most of the members are here because they've likely found a solace on a civil forum unlike, oh so many like GameFAQs. I get the occasional sarcasm and ribbing when it comes to pointing out the obvious (like when people don't bother reading or just spout nonsense). Like the real world, in extreme circumstances, you can find a diplomatic way to sort things out, rather than GameFAQ'ing to the extreme.

Besides, this isn't the "real world". Some people deal with enough crap on a daily basis and the last thing they'd want is arguing on a forum of a hobby that relaxes them.
Posted: Sep 21, 2012 6:17 

Finally home again so I sunk in more time with the demo. The more I play the more I find Leon's demo to be boring. The zombies dont provide enough of a challenge to really use your skills. Chris and Jake's scenario though force you to use all moves and weapons at your disposal. There are some moments where I dive right under an enemy attack and shoot them for a kill, get up and quick shot a dude behind me, it all happens so fast. There is going to be some impressive high skill level play.

After fighting fast moving and intelligent Ganados and Majini in 4 and 5, are you really surprised by this? This was why Capcom have always been hesitant to bring zombies back.
Posted: Jan 16, 2013 20:20 

:confused:
 Post subject: Re: The Next Biohazard
Posted: Jan 25, 2013 11:13 

Go the Revelations way but refined - with even more classic traits from the originals (enhance atmosphere, more enemy variety and optional stuff to toggle on/off like typewriters) or don't bother at all, CAPCOM.
Posted: Jan 29, 2013 10:29 

Looking forward to earning 1000 points per day to earn something that would have been unlocked traditionally a year ago -- assuming I don't forget to login on a day and break the bonus chain.
 Post subject: Re: PlayStation Thread
Posted: Jun 05, 2013 13:39 

Post subject: Re: So lets hear it
Posted: Sep 02, 2013 14:44 

Reboots are a sign of creative bankruptcy. Honestly, what usually happens is they dress up the same tired old shit and pretend it's new by having different characters, outrageous and edgy new ideas, and generally spoiling the fun by having change for the sake of it but recycling more than a sequel. Now Jill Valentine is a tough teen with attitude, she eats vegan and doesn't take any shit from her dad!

Since they drove themselves off a cliff of stupid with RE6, what needs to happen is probably an interquel, or a sequel so removed from the current events that it's detached enough to breathe. Something away from anything using the words "global" and especially "terrorism". This stuff is just plan hideous. Moving back in time, giving us a character that isn't some walking attitude problem with a neck 12 inches wide, and throwing them into a real mystery plot is required. No more world domination idiocy. Finding clues, rooting out conspirators, maybe meeting a few eccentric B-villians will be fine. Writing it properly but not so dark that it becomes dull. They also need to do some real work on the design or good creatures, proper settings, and sound design that adds true atmosphere. Tentacles, slime ooze and lazy insectoid concepts are dead.

I don't care so much about the current gameplay standards, but I suppose all the upper cuts and high kicks are pretty dumb. Whether you like Dead Space or Alan Wake, I think they are reasonable examples of third person games that have a definite mood, that ambient feeling of exploring some creepy shit. Co-op can stay away from single player. QTEs can die in a fire.
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 10:09 

http://i.imgur.com/En5Hd5Z.png

I apologize for posting something not specifically Biohazard-related, but I wanted to take the opportunity to announce that I have founded a small startup gaming-inspired called Brave Wave Productions alongside my friend, Mohammed Taher . Based in Tokyo, we work with video game composers from Japan and all over the world to create albums inspired by video games both new and old, indie and commercial. My official title at Brave Wave Productions is CEO and Business Development Coordinator .

And with this new development, I also would like to announce that I have officially retired from my regular news-posting duties at Biohaze, but rest assured that I will never abandon the Biohazard series and will always be there day one for any new game that comes out. I will remain a member of the Biohaze community in the coming years, and look forward to being a part of this community in 2014 and beyond!

Looking forward to the rest of 2014!
-cvxfreak
Page 1 of 2 [ Search found 18 matches ]

Jump to:  

Biohaze.com