Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dead Space Series
PostPosted: Feb 11, 2018 19:38 
Jill Sandwich
Jill Sandwich

Favorite title: Biohazard 3 Last Escape
Now playing: Dead Space 3
EvilResident wrote:
I'm familiar with DS lore too, so I'd be happy to talk about it. There are also two animated movies, three or so comic books, and two novels. Not to mention 6 games with two story add ons.

Let's continue here. I have played the three games, currently replaying the third one and i've watched the animated movies. I'm aware of a game called Extraction that appears to take place in Aegis VII featuring the Ishimura's crew, i'm not too fond of Wii games, is it worth playing it just for the story? Or can i read it elsewhere and experience the same? Also is there any sort of chronology available for reading?

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2018 21:04 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

XBL: EvilResident777
Aside from 1-3, there's Extraction (you could just read a summary if you want, but I thought it was great) and the DS2 DLC called Severed which is a direct follow up to it. Then there's Ignition, a short collection of hacking minigames following Franco (the guy who is transformed at the beginning of DS2) as the Sprawl outbreak first starts. Then there's DS Mobile - I don't think it's available anymore, and I've never played it, but it shows how the Sprawl outbreak started. Finally there's the DLC Awakened, which is the true ending of DS3 (and the whole series).

As for comics, there's one that comes with Extraction (you unlock chapters as you progress in the game), Salvage, which takes place after DS1, and another which I forget the name of that serves as a prequel to DS3, and gives some backstory to Carver and shows how Tau Volantis was discovered.

I only read one of the books, called Martyr, which takes place 200 years before DS1. It's about Altman, the true origins of Unitology, and the discovery of the Black Marker.

Here's the chronological order:
1. Martyr
2. Downfall, Extraction, and the first comic
3. DS1
4. Aftermath, Salvage
5. Mobile, Ignition
6. DS2, Severed
7. third comic
8. DS3
9. Awakened

I don't know where the second book fits.

"The diabolical sometimes adopts the appearance of good, or even embodies itself completely therein"
    - Franz Kafka

"And around here, family is a righteous cause!"
    - Joe Baker

EvilResident has received a thanks from: 3A7

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2018 16:47 
Jill Sandwich
Jill Sandwich

Thanks, i'll probably do a sacrifice and play Extraction now that i finished the main series. So, let's see if i got everything right.

Dead Space:
USG Ishimura was doing an illegal planet cracking operation for the EarthGov, but that was a cover up, the original goal was to acquire one of the red markers stored there for retrieval and subsequent study in order to harness their so believed unlimited energy. I think the Captain (Mathius?) was aware of this, he had some orders. Why the doctor (Keller i believe?) killed the captain? Was he possessed by the marker? Or was he aware of the evil inside it and wanted it destroyed? Kendra was a Unitologist agent. Isaac has some resistance to the markers influence, i believe this is stated somewhere about some minor percent of people experiencing that. USM Valor was a military ship sent by a distress call by Hammond or Kendra, don't remember well that part.

Dead Space 2:
You answered my main question: How the infection started on Titan station, i'll have a look on that in the future. Esentially a follow up on Aftermath and what i said earlier on EarthGov. Now if you care to explain to me what the hell was all about with the needle in the eye?!

Dead Space 3:
The first part was a little puzzling. 200 years ago the S.C.A.F. was at war against the Separatists(which later won and became EarthGov), they went this far in search of a weapon in order to succeed against their foes, thanks to the black marker's signal that pointed them to Tau Volantis. They discovered an ancient race in Tau Volantis who we later learn they sacrificed themselves in order to preserve life in the galaxy (pretty much what the Forerunners did in Halo). Admiral Graves was being influenced by the markers with the "Turn it off" gibberish. General Hammad rebelled and was the one responsible of the cleansing operation of the planet and the fleets, he was aware of the danger like Dr. Serrano but his methods were a little extreme compared to what Serrano had in mind. Earl Serrano was another mind like Isaac with certain resilience to the markers. Tau Volantis is not the homeworld of the markers but of this alien race. The moons are the result of Convergence and what the Unitologist want. Are they the ones controlling the markers? You say awakened is the end, is it because of the moons?

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2018 17:10 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

3A7 wrote:
Thanks, i'll probably do a sacrifice and play Extraction now that i finished the main series. So, let's see if i got everything right.

Dead Space:
USG Ishimura was doing an illegal planet cracking operation for the EarthGov, but that was a cover up, the original goal was to acquire one of the red markers stored there for retrieval and subsequent study in order to harness their so believed unlimited energy. I think the Captain (Mathius?) was aware of this, he had some orders. Why the doctor (Keller i believe?) killed the captain? Was he possessed by the marker? Or was he aware of the evil inside it and wanted it destroyed? Kendra was a Unitologist agent. Isaac has some resistance to the markers influence, i believe this is stated somewhere about some minor percent of people experiencing that. USM Valor was a military ship sent by a distress call by Hammond or Kendra, don't remember well that part.

The CEC (planet cracking group Isaac works for) went to Aegis VII to mine it. A text log in DS1 says the planet was a gold mine. They did so illegally.
When they accidentally discovered the Marker there, the church took over (they have a large sphere of influence in various corporations and even government institutions) and sent the Ishumura with a crew mostly comprised of church members to retrieve it. Kyne accidentally killed the captain when trying to sedate him, as Kyne was convinced the Marker was too dangerous while the Captain was already driven crazy.

The Marker imprintation is only successful in intelligent hosts, and Isaac is smart enough to carry blueprints for new Markers. Everyone elso goes crazy right away.

Kendra was with EarthGov, and the Valor was waiting nearby for her signal. The Sovereign Colonies (S.C.A.F. is Sovereign Colonies Armed Forces) hid the Markers they built when they found out about the Moons, but EarthGov wanted to find them.
Quote:
Dead Space 2:
You answered my main question: How the infection started on Titan station, i'll have a look on that in the future. Esentially a follow up on Aftermath and what i said earlier on EarthGov. Now if you care to explain to me what the hell was all about with the needle in the eye?!

It extracts information from the brain. EarthGov used it to extract blueprints from Isaac and Stross to build the Gold Marker.

The Markers "reproduce" by tricking hosts to build them this way, spreading their signal.
Quote:
Dead Space 3:
The first part was a little puzzling. 200 years ago the S.C.A.F. was at war against the Separatists(which later won and became EarthGov), they went this far in search of a weapon in order to succeed against their foes, thanks to the black marker's signal that pointed them to Tau Volantis. They discovered an ancient race in Tau Volantis who we later learn they sacrificed themselves in order to preserve life in the galaxy (pretty much what the Forerunners did in Halo). Admiral Graves was being influenced by the markers with the "Turn it off" gibberish. General Hammad rebelled and was the one responsible of the cleansing operation of the planet and the fleets, he was aware of the danger like Dr. Serrano but his methods were a little extreme compared to what Serrano had in mind. Earl Serrano was another mind like Isaac with certain resilience to the markers. Tau Volantis is not the homeworld of the markers but of this alien race. The moons are the result of Convergence and what the Unitologist want. Are they the ones controlling the markers? You say awakened is the end, is it because of the moons?

All correct. The Marker's are just antenna to boost the Moon's signal (and Hive Minds are secondary antenna). Without Moons, Markers are just fancy rocks. Moons and Necromorphs are one organism, with the Moons being the brain. Kill the brain, and the rest of the body dies, hence the ending to DS3 (before Awakened, anyway).
Each Moon is an individual, but all are also linked to each other, creating a psychic chain across the universe.

Moons absorb all Markers during Convergence, then launch them towards new planets to seed them with intelligent life and repeat the process. The Tau Volantis Moon launched one of the alien Markers (which are Black due to an alien material used) towards earth before it froze. The impact killed the dinosaurs, and it then proceeded to create humanity. It's like farming, with us being the crops, the Markers being seeds, Necromorphs the harvesters (funny that Slashers have scythes for hands), and the Moons the consumers. In DS, the purpose of our existence is to feed larger, more advanced life forms.

Add the first letter of each chapter name in DS1 to get the message "Nichole is dead". Do the same in DS3, you get "Brethren Moons are Awake", alluding to Awakened. Mobile, Extraction, and Awakened all have one too.

Source: game audio/text logs, Awakened, and the book Martyr.

"The diabolical sometimes adopts the appearance of good, or even embodies itself completely therein"
    - Franz Kafka

- Joe Baker

EvilResident has received a thanks from: 3A7

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2018 15:38 
Jill Sandwich
Jill Sandwich

Thanks for clarifying, somehow everything regarding DS3 stuck with me better than the others. I've seem some criticism towards three but so far i liked it, specially the secondary missions which expand quite a lot the lore(oh man that mission about the Reaper squad was superb.), not to say the ammo management, everything tied to one type of ammo was a relief.
I have one more question: The machine froze all the other moons as well or just the unfinished one over Tau Volantis?

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2018 15:43 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

3A7 wrote:
Thanks for clarifying, somehow everything regarding DS3 stuck with me better than the others. I've seem some criticism towards three but so far i liked it, specially the secondary missions which expand quite a lot the lore(oh man that mission about the Reaper squad was superb.), not to say the ammo management, everything tied to one type of ammo was a relief.

DS1 is probably my favorite simply for nostalgia (I remember getting hyped seeing the reveal in a movie theater, back in middle school), but I love all of them, including DS3.
No other game has a crafting system equal to the one in DS3, imo.
Quote:
I have one more question: The machine froze all the other moons as well or just the unfinished one over Tau Volantis?

Just the one. The others have been dormant across the universe for hundreds of millions of years, waiting for a new brother to wake them up for a harvest meal...

- Franz Kafka

- Joe Baker

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2018 20:42 
Jill Sandwich
Jill Sandwich

EvilResident wrote:
DS1 is probably my favorite simply for nostalgia (I remember getting hyped seeing the reveal in a movie theater, back in middle school), but I love all of them, including DS3.
No other game has a crafting system equal to the one in DS3, imo.

Yeah DS1 has something special, i believe it has to do with the immersion, Isaac not saying a word in the entire game felt like you were the one playing (just like Master Chief in Halo CE).
Back in the days i never had the proper chance of watching any trailers, although i do remember seeing the cover art of the hand floating in space which intrigued me.
I like them all as well, but 3 wins in mystery and lore to me which are the main things i like.
EvilResident wrote:
Just the one. The others have been dormant across the universe for hundreds of millions of years, waiting for a new brother to wake them up for a harvest meal...

What a nightmarish world awaits Isaac, Carver and Ellie in a hopeful Dead Space 4.

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2018 5:21 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

3A7 wrote:
Yeah DS1 has something special, i believe it has to do with the immersion, Isaac not saying a word in the entire game felt like you were the one playing (just like Master Chief in Halo CE).
Back in the days i never had the proper chance of watching any trailers, although i do remember seeing the cover art of the hand floating in space which intrigued me.
I like them all as well, but 3 wins in mystery and lore to me which are the main things i like.

Each game has something special that makes it stand out, true.

I think the basic plot of DS3 (the Moons in particular) was planned out since at least DS2, as there are references to it in 2 that are impossible to pick out until you have played 3.
Quote:
What a nightmarish world awaits Isaac, Carver and Ellie in a hopeful Dead Space 4.

With Visceral shut down, I think Awakened is most likely as good an ending as we'll get, sadly. What's disappointing is there are some unresolved plot points from Extraction and Severed which will likely never be finished.

- Franz Kafka

- Joe Baker

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2018 12:42 
Jill Sandwich
Jill Sandwich

EvilResident wrote:
I think the basic plot of DS3 (the Moons in particular) was planned out since at least DS2, as there are references to it in 2 that are impossible to pick out until you have played 3.

What references do you mean?
EvilResident wrote:
With Visceral shut down, I think Awakened is most likely as good an ending as we'll get, sadly. What's disappointing is there are some unresolved plot points from Extraction and Severed which will likely never be finished.

What unresolved plot points?

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2018 20:11 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

3A7 wrote:
What references do you mean?

When you enter the Sprawl Church of Unitology, look at the statues and art. Apart from the obvious Marker symbols, their are statues of orbs suspended with people flying upwards to it.

Hallucination Nichole talks about how cold she is (being frozen by an alien machine will do that).

Convergence is shown to involve all life becoming one, with bodies flung into the air and into space above the Marker.

Unitology's uprising against EarthGov is hinted at as early as the first game, as not only do they blame them for killing Altman and stealing the Black Marker, but a text log implies they are secretly building a massive fleet of ships. This log also says a church requirement is to donate your body to be stored away, shown in DS2, to be ready for Convergence.

Martyr talks about how the Black Marker created humans, which Danik reinforces in DS3.

A lot was planned out early on. The whole Moon thing is straight from Lovecraftian horror, one of the three main inspirations for the series (the others being Alien and The Thing, the latter being the inspiration for Tau Volantis).
Quote:
What unresolved plot points?

I don't want to spoil anything. Severed is DLC for DS2, but it is actually a continuation of Extraction.

- Franz Kafka

- Joe Baker

[ 373 posts ] 

Forum index » Other » General Gaming

Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next