PostPosted: Mar 08, 2012 20:56 
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
"You did a fine job."
Project Umbrella

Favorite title: Biohazard 2
PSN: NewsBot
Archelon wrote:
News Bot wrote:
Sounds like Mercier to me, just putting on a more gruff voice.

Degeneration was Mercier putting on a more gruff voice.

This is someone else entirely.

Actually, all he did in Degeneration was sound more moody, not "gruff". He sounds older in BH6 (which is wise considering it's 8 years after Degeneration), but it sounds a lot like Mercier.

Could also be new guy who sounds like a whiny can't-act-for-shit bitch in Operation Raccoon City, I suppose.

Their struggle for existence is over for the time being.
But a sin violating sanctuary isn't forgiven.
This is not just an end.
This is the end of a beginning.

Profile WWW

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2012 21:22 
Dark Dimension Ruler
Biohaze Supporter

Favorite title: Biohazard Outbreak File: 2
Now playing: Resident Evil 6
PSN: IkariKH
XBL: IkariKH
3DS: 021608877120
News Bot wrote:
Archelon wrote:
News Bot wrote:

Actually, all he did in Degeneration was sound more moody, not "gruff". He sounds older in BH6 (which is wise considering it's 8 years after Degeneration), but it sounds a lot like Mercier.

Could also be new guy who sounds like a whiny can't-act-for-shit bitch in Operation Raccoon City, I suppose.

I'll never understand people who call any male voice actor who doesn't sound like a caveman grunt 'whiney'. You do know the male voice has a huge variety to it that goes beyond Solid Snake gruff right?

Seriously, anytime any male voice over doesn't come off as a macho gruff clint eastwood type, everyone trashes it and calls it 'whiney'.

It's almost as bad as the people who claim pretty much any English Dub = Shit and any Jap dub = GODLY OMEG!!!!!!!!!!! just because. Which is funny because a great majority of people who think Jap dubs = awesome, don't even understand japanese to possibly be able to tell if the acting is being done right. They just hear lots of overexaggerated tones and immediately claim it as superior and trash the English cast simply because they don't sound as 'cool' as the exotic japanese voices.

Same crap with all the 'whiney' comments. Sorry, it just REALLY grates my nerves everytime I see people make that comment. Just like they said RE2 Leon (Paul Haddad) was 'whiney' and terrible acting when in fact I thought Paul Haddad did a pretty great job with Leon and was far superior to Paul Mercier. Because Paul Haddad actually made Leon sound like a believable human being unlike Mercier who focused on trying to sound like an offshoot of Solid Snake with no emotion and just a tough guy with lots of bravado and nothing much else.

Profile WWW

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2012 21:26 
The Dragon
Chat Moderator

Favorite title: Biohazard 4
PSN: Robyn-The-Dragon
I wonder if it will be like where you can choose your responses to question asked by others or make comments like you can in FF XIII-2 and it affects the outcome of later events.
That would be cool...but bothersome to the point of canon and wanting to view each outcome.

Profile WWW

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2012 21:29 
Dark Dimension Ruler
Biohaze Supporter

I wouldn't mind choices affecting endings and scenes. That's part of the replay value. I enjoyed it in RE1, 2 and 3. Would like to see it return.

Profile WWW

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2012 21:53 
Jill Sandwich
Jill Sandwich

Favorite title: Biohazard 4
IkariWarriorKH wrote:
Same crap with all the 'whiney' comments. Sorry, it just REALLY grates my nerves everytime I see people make that comment. Just like they said RE2 Leon (Paul Haddad) was 'whiney' and terrible acting when in fact I thought Paul Haddad did a pretty great job with Leon and was far superior to Paul Mercier. Because Paul Haddad actually made Leon sound like a believable human being unlike Mercier who focused on trying to sound like an offshoot of Solid Snake with no emotion and just a tough guy with lots of bravado and nothing much else.

So, basically, your opinion is right, and everyone else's is wrong.

:razz:

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2012 21:55 
Dark Dimension Ruler
Biohaze Supporter

Archelon wrote:
IkariWarriorKH wrote:

So, basically, your opinion is right, and everyone else's is wrong.

:razz:

When did I say that? All I took issue with was everyone claiming any and all voices that aren't gruff being 'whiney'. You can like and prefer a gruff voice without needing to stereotype and label everything 'else' as whiney crap. My whole comment simply put focus on the fact that the 'gruff' voices aren't perfect by default simply for being gruff. And made note of the jap/eng thing to point out a common thing in people where they instantly hate everything that isn't mainstream cool like jap dubs = cool, gruff voices = cool. Everything else = crap 'just because'.

And the word to describe the voices outside of gruff is ALWAYS 'whiney'. No one can ever think of a realistic reason why the voice is bad, it's always 'whiney'. Which is why it grates my nerves that apparently every voice in the world that isn't solid snake's is apparnetly 'whiney' and 'bad'. Which is obviously very stupid considering the majority of people claiming this don't have a gruff voice themselves yet probably don't find fault in their own voices, yet claim others which are similiar as 'whiney'.

Profile WWW

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2012 22:29 
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
"You did a fine job."
Project Umbrella

PSN: NewsBot
IkariWarriorKH wrote:
News Bot wrote:
Archelon wrote:
News Bot wrote:

I'll never understand people who call any male voice actor who doesn't sound like a caveman grunt 'whiney'. You do know the male voice has a huge variety to it that goes beyond Solid Snake gruff right?

Seriously, anytime any male voice over doesn't come off as a macho gruff clint eastwood type, everyone trashes it and calls it 'whiney'.

It's almost as bad as the people who claim pretty much any English Dub = Shit and any Jap dub = GODLY OMEG!!!!!!!!!!! just because. Which is funny because a great majority of people who think Jap dubs = awesome, don't even understand japanese to possibly be able to tell if the acting is being done right. They just hear lots of overexaggerated tones and immediately claim it as superior and trash the English cast simply because they don't sound as 'cool' as the exotic japanese voices.

Whiny wasn't really the best term to use. I just don't know how else to describe how bad his acting is compared to Mercier or Haddad. Both of them nailed how Leon would sound (Mercier always sounded like an older Haddad to me at times). New guy's acting just sounds inferior.

Example:

Quote:
YOU GUYS ARE WITH UMBRELLA HUH?

sounds like it is being spoken by a 14 year old trying to sound manly.

I just don't like him compared to Mercier or Haddad, the same way I despised D.C. Douglas in BHUC. Maybe new guy will be better in BH6 than ORC like Douglas became suddenly great when he wasn't trying to be Richard Waugh. In-fact, I absolutely loathe it when casting directors try and get actors to sound like someone else. It almost always sounds worse and limits what the new actor can do.

Their struggle for existence is over for the time being.
But a sin violating sanctuary isn't forgiven.
This is not just an end.
This is the end of a beginning.

Profile WWW

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2012 22:52 
Dark Dimension Ruler
Biohaze Supporter

News Bot wrote:

Whiny wasn't really the best term to use. I just don't know how else to describe how bad his acting is compared to Mercier or Haddad. Both of them nailed how Leon would sound (Mercier always sounded like an older Haddad to me at times). New guy's acting just sounds inferior.

Example:

Quote:
YOU GUYS ARE WITH UMBRELLA HUH?

I just don't like him compared to Mercier or Haddad, the same way I despised D.C. Douglas in BHUC. Maybe new guy will be better in BH6 than ORC like Douglas became suddenly great when he wasn't trying to be Richard Waugh. In-fact, I absolutely loathe it when casting directors try and get actors to sound like someone else. It almost always sounds worse and limits what the new actor can do.

Well in that regard, I fully respect your opinion. It just came off like the typical "whiney' comments I always see that I already explained. Just gets on my nerves heavily.

Disagree about Mercier sounding like an older Haddad, but, that's subjective and not a huge deal. My apologies if I overreacted to your comment. Like I said, just 'so' many people I see trashing English Dubs and non-gruff voices with the 'whiney' comment. Heard tons of people claim Paul Haddad's voice was Whiney too and tons of other actors get labled as 'whiney' for not using a 'deep' voice. It's just infuriating at times because a lot of these actors are doing tremendous jobs but not getting the proper recognition due to moronic idiots who think 'deep' is the only possible male tone viable in any form of media.

Profile WWW

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2012 0:13 
The Guv
"You did a fine job."
Project Umbrella

Now playing: Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
PSN: ADPolicenaut
XBL: Starlancer One
News Bot wrote:

Isn't that what ORC is to begin with? A 14 year-old trying to be manly.

Quote:
We gave you a gun and a badge, Spencer. You used them to kill the economy. So we took them off you again.

Mr. Spencer has received 2 thanks from: Mr. Rod, News Bot
 Profile WWW

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2012 1:13 
Master of Unlocking
Master of Unlocking

Favorite title: Biohazard 5
I like English dubs much better than their Japanese originals in videogames most of the time. To me, the Japanese girls all sound the same..like the meek girly voice. Of course, there are the deeper female voices in the Japanese versions, but seems like the majority of female voice overs are like 16 year old girls. The guy Japanese voices are more different IMO, but there's ALWAYS the really deep man voice. But if it was concerning anime, I think I prefer the original Japanese VAs over the English dubs..odd.

[ 41 posts ] 

Forum index » News and Updates

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next