PostPosted: Mar 12, 2012 12:13 
Dark Dimension Ruler
Biohaze Supporter

Favorite title: Biohazard Outbreak File: 2
Now playing: Resident Evil 6
PSN: IkariKH
XBL: IkariKH
3DS: 021608877120

Resident Evil producer Masachika Kawata spoke at the Game Developers Confrence regarding on behalf of Revelations recently. Agreeing with former Capcom staff member Keiji Inafune, that Japanese developers need to research and re-evaluate their standing as a global game developer to appeal more to what the world as a whole wants.

In addition to this, he mentioned that The Mercenaries 3D and Revelations being developed side by side had gone rather well and he hopes to do similiar things in the future and expand on spin-off Resident Evil games.

He also hinted there may be a surprise like this in store for RE fans alongside Resident Evil 6.

You can read the full article here.

Source: EuroGamer

Profile WWW

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2012 13:20 
Random Cover Guy
Random Cover Guy

Favorite title: Biohazard 3 Last Escape
Now playing: Smash Bros. Melee
kind of bothers me that they're calling Revelations an 'offshoot' title.

Profile WWW

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2012 13:28 
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
"You did a fine job."
Project Umbrella

Favorite title: Biohazard 2
PSN: NewsBot
Knuckles wrote:
kind of bothers me that they're calling Revelations an 'offshoot' title.

Technically it is, even though the developers have already stated it's a main series title. Most people hold the general view that non-numbered = spin-off.

Their struggle for existence is over for the time being.
But a sin violating sanctuary isn't forgiven.
This is not just an end.
This is the end of a beginning.

Profile WWW

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2012 14:00 
Banned
Banned

Favorite title: Biohazard 4
Ya. And what the world doesn't want is you to rape your own titles to cater to a generation that didn't build your fan base.

Not even the same people.

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2012 15:57 
Dark Dimension Ruler
Biohaze Supporter

Favorite title: Biohazard Outbreak File: 2
Now playing: Resident Evil 6
PSN: IkariKH
XBL: IkariKH
3DS: 021608877120
Revelations is a main series entry yet still a spin-off in it's own right much like Outbreak. Revelations fits into the main canon just fine and is recognized as such. But, at the same time, it's story isn't directly reflective of the series as a whole to hold utmost importance to it. Aka, the game and story can exist without it being 'necessary' to play to understand the other games.

And that was likely the intention of the developers from the getgo considering the game is exclusive to a handheld that many console gamers are not likely to have. Just like Outbreak was intended to be played online, a feature that most ps2 owners didn't have. The offline mode was an afterthought. So while outbreak is canon and recognized as such, it isn't necessary to play, like Revelations, to understand the series story as a whole.

Revelations simply holds an ambiguous title of being able to fit both in a main series capacity and a spin-off capacity at the same time since it focuses on main characters from the series and it's events help flesh out the formation of the BSAA, yet none of that is all important to the overarching story of the series as a whole, and the entire events of Revelations come across as very self-contained.

Profile WWW

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2012 18:05 
Mikami's Head
Mikami's Head

Favorite title: Biohazard 4
Now playing: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
PSN: seanquan
XBL: seanquans
IkariWarriorKH wrote:
So while outbreak is canon and recognized as such, it isn't necessary to play, like Revelations, to understand the series story as a whole.

Are you sure about that? I've never heard anything about outbreak being canon.

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2012 18:54 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

Favorite title: Biohazard (Rebirth)
Now playing: Uncharted, MGS GZ, Wolfenstein
PSN: PYTHON_mgs
Yes Outbreak is canon.

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2012 20:27 
Rodimus Prime
Biohaze Coder

Favorite title: Biohazard (Rebirth)
Now playing: Batman Arkham Origins
IkariWarriorKH wrote:
Revelations is a main series entry yet still a spin-off in it's own right much like Outbreak. Revelations fits into the main canon just fine and is recognized as such. But, at the same time, it's story isn't directly reflective of the series as a whole to hold utmost importance to it.

Agreed. But I think the term side-story is more correct, since a spin-off (like ORC) differs greatly from main games both in terms of gameplay and the story is usually unrelated to the main plot. A side story is canon, adds to the plot but is not necesarry to understand the whole picture, like Revelations.

Profile WWW

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2012 21:31 
Master of Unlocking
Master of Unlocking

Favorite title: Biohazard 5
I too, do not see Revelations as entirely canon. I don't know the exact reason why...it could be that Jill wasn't even Jill. Didn't act or sound or look like her, seemed like a new character. Or that it was on a handheld. Or that the final boss was so far fetched and "mystical" that it seemed to have nothing to do with BOWs. Revelations was neither survival horror or action horror. The "puzzles" in the game were a joke..actually where wasn't even any puzzles. It just seemed to dwell in the middle, really wasn't that exciting to me. I mean, either do survival horror all the way, or go action horror, not some mundane hybrid.

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2012 0:16 
Random Cover Guy
Random Cover Guy

Favorite title: Biohazard 3 Last Escape
Now playing: Smash Bros. Melee
If you're going to say Revelations is an offshoot then you better put Code: Veronica in that same category, that's all I'm saying. Both main series titles without a number, both important.

And you can't say 'not necessary to play', because in that sense you could just say RE1-Code:Veronica are ALL 'not necessary', as far as RE4 is concerned.

Profile WWW
 [ 18 posts ] 

Forum index » News and Updates

Go to page 1, 2  Next