Post subject: Re: Worst RE?
PostPosted: Mar 09, 2012 17:43 
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
"You did a fine job."
Project Umbrella

Favorite title: Biohazard 2
PSN: NewsBot
Nikkolas wrote:
Why? Who's character did it develop? How did it progress the story? Last I checked it just necessitated having completely random and almost entirely pointless games like Code Veronica.

CODE:Veronica was neither random nor pointless, and it was also originally titled... BIOHAZARD 3. The BH3 we know was originally titled BIOHAZARD 1.9.

BH3 is on equal footing with BH2 and the BH1 remake in terms of greatness. Also has the best and most fleshed-out story in the series (courtesy of Yasuhisa Kawamura), but due to the nature of the game, it's mostly in the background.

Let's look at the story of BH3...

1) Continued the story of S.T.A.R.S.

2) Continued the story of Raccoon City, which was still roaming with Zombies at the end of BH2

3) Provided more insight into Umbrella (American/European branch rivalry, spies in the U.S. government, U.B.C.S., their actions during the incident, their response to S.T.A.R.S., their collusion with the U.S. government, etc)

4) Introduced the U.S. government as a key player, sending Special Forces to rescue Birkin and take the G-Virus.

5) Provided epilogues of all of the main characters and paved the way for future games.

6) Revealed more about what led to the outbreak and how the city coped.

7) Revealed Umbrella's actions during the incident, with Monitors destroying/collecting evidence and B.O.W. combat data which allowed them to continue development (a big part of CODE:Veronica)

Plus whatever I'm missing. Overall, BH3 was intended to act as an intermediary between every other game in the series. It's epilogues were intended to lead directly into CV and BH4, which were in development at the same time.

The story of BH2? G-Virus, showing how the outbreak occurred... that's about it. In terms of how big the scenario is, BH3 is only trumped by CODE:Veronica and Revelations.

Quote:
This game's entire claim to fame is a tedious, failed gimmick.

Considering the popularity of Nemesis, and the fact that BH3 has the best gameplay of the PS1 games... no.

Quote:
Actually, this entire game is not scary in the least. It has zero in the way of atmosphere or even jump scares..

Bullshit. BH3 has just as much if not more jump scares than BH1 and BH2 combined, and has more of a lasting, foreboding fear aspect due to the Nemesis, which is superior to the T-103 from BH2. The atmosphere is also just as good, yet different from both of them.

Quote:
There's also no real mystery or conflict driving us. We are trying to escape Raccoon City but that's not keeping me hookd. In RE1 you had the mystery of the zombies and monsters. RE2 gave us teh G-Virus. RE3 gave us....nothing. At most you could wonder a bit about what Nicholai was after but that was an absolutely miniscule subplot.

There was no mystery to BH2 either, as it was all explained barely 1/4 into the game. There was no mystery to the G-Virus, you get told outright what it is and what it does and what it's for, who made it and why it's important. BH3 was not about mystery, it did not pretend to be nor did it imply it had one. The title of the game in Japan is "LAST ESCAPE", for fuck's sake. The game tells you exactly what you're getting into.

Quote:
This game is when RE pretty much left survival horror in the dust.

That's BH4. Or BH5, since BH4 actually did have some decent survival horror parts, however limited they were.

tl;dr version: Cut the bullshit.

In terms of what the worst game in the series is, that honor goes to either BIOHAZARD GUN SURVIVOR or BIOHAZARD GAIDEN. However, GS1 has an excellent scenario, so that puts it one notch above BHG.

Their struggle for existence is over for the time being.
But a sin violating sanctuary isn't forgiven.
This is not just an end.
This is the end of a beginning.

News Bot has received 4 thanks from: Gravedigger, IkariWarriorKH, Knuckles, Robyn
 Profile WWW

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2012 2:27 
Random Cover Guy
Random Cover Guy

Favorite title: Biohazard 3 Last Escape
Now playing: Smash Bros. Melee
Allow me to add to your post, News Bot, since Nikkolas queried about character development.

Like News Bot said, there was TONS of character progression given in the form of the epilogues. They gave us insight on things characters would never say in-game, like Ada and her scar((?)was it a scar?) and how much Chris means to Jill.

In-game, a major plot point was given in the form of Jill being infected. Without that happening, RE5 wouldn't have happened. This game was important for Jill in the sense that it really fleshed her character out as not being as helpless as she was in the beginning of the mansion incident. Those events toughened her up, and she held her own against an entire city, along with the strongest B.O.W. to date, sans T.A.L.O.S. (someone can correct me on this)

also, you mentioned liking to examine things. I believe RE3 is the only RE game, besides REmake, that let you examine every desk/bookshelf/locker, etc. So if anything, praise it for that.

But hey, if you like examining things, PLAY PARASITE EVE 2. That game gives a different line of text every time you examine something, up til the 3rd-5th examine. The character often elaborates on what you're examining, and sometimes will actually start to tell stories. There are even items you can only find if you check certain areas more than once.

Knuckles has received 2 thanks from: Gravedigger, IkariWarriorKH
 Profile WWW

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2012 5:16 
Dark Dimension Ruler
Biohaze Supporter

Favorite title: Biohazard Outbreak File: 2
Now playing: Resident Evil 6
PSN: IkariKH
XBL: IkariKH
3DS: 021608877120
Nikkolas wrote:
Indeed it is.

This game's entire claim to fame is a tedious, failed gimmick.

1st Time: OH NO IT'S NEMESIS!

2nd Time: Oh...yeah. here he comes again.

3rd Time Onward: Goddammit, leave me alone.

Hey Capcom When you make a giant rocket launcher-wielding monstrosity and all he invokes is a groan of resignation? You did something wrong.

Having Nemesis pursue you is not scary. It's actually a hindrance to one of my greatest joys in the series - being able to explore. I loved just being able to examine things.

Actually, this entire game is not scary in the least. It has zero in the way of atmosphere or even jump scares..

There's also no real mystery or conflict driving us. We are trying to escape Raccoon City but that's not keeping me hookd. In RE1 you had the mystery of the zombies and monsters. RE2 gave us teh G-Virus. RE3 gave us....nothing. At most you could wonder a bit about what Nicholai was after but that was an absolutely miniscule subplot.

On a more superficial level, any woman-respecting individual probably threw this game in the trash when they saw Jill's outfit.

This game is when RE pretty much left survival horror in the dust.

Uhm, what?

RE3 is one of the best games in the series. I don't know where you get the idea survival horror left the building because it's extremely apparent in the game. You complain about lack of survival horror and also complain about nemesis being a hinderance to your exploration. That is contradiction in of itself.

When a huge hulking monster that can't easily be taken down is constantly on your ass and preventing you from walking around dandily and exploring without worry, that's called SURVIVAL HORROR. When you're walking around care free without a worry in the world feeling safe and secure, that is NOT Survival Horror.

You may not find Nemesis 'scary' but 'scary' is subjective to begin with. And Nemesis is not about making you cry and hide under your bed. He's simply about adding tension and enacting the fight or flight survival instinct. While you're off trying to explore and he bursts into the room, you're forced to choose between running away from him or fighting him. That's part of the intensity of him which is no different than if you were in a Friday the 13th movie and Jason is stalking you. That's exactly what Nemesis envokes, and he does a wonderful job of it. Having him constantly forcing me to make quick decisions and think on my feet keeps the game fresh and unique everytime rather than it becoming increasingly easy and redundant.

You also complain about a lack of mystery or conflict in RE3, yet cite the G-virus as the point of interest of RE2. What exactly was so interesting about the G-virus to drive you forward yet the fate of Raccoon City doesn't? You act as if RE3 is a pointless game and holds no purpose when in fact it basically closes the book on the first chapter of the RE saga.

By the end of RE2 we have Chris and Jill AWOL, Claire running off to find Chris, Leon and Sherry left behind and Raccoon City still infested with zombies. Tons of unanswered questions and a lot of loose ends.

RE3 helps deal with a lot of these, most especially the fate of the city. It provides closure to the incident, something RE2 never did. How you can find the game pointless is again, beyond me.

Then to say Code Veronica is pointless? To what degree? What was pointless about Code Veronica? It adds a significant amount to the overarching storyline. Not only do we see closure to Chris' whearabouts and Claire's search for Chris, we also find out about Wesker and his plans, his rivalry with Chris as well as a LOT of backstory on Umbrella itself that we hadn't been aware of previously.

You may not like that the story focus' on the Ashford's which doesn't seem relevant at the time, but, the whole of CV adds a lot of necessary and useful information to the series. And complaining about the Ashford storyline is no different than the Birkin's storyline in RE2. RE2 introduces a whole new virus and a family of Umbrella scientists with their own agenda's just the same that the story focus' on which is vastly different from what RE1 did. It also introduces two brand new characters that aren't from the original game. Yet, you seem to have no problem with RE2 yet take issue with RE3 and CV which actually do focus on continuation of characters and storyline, and again, the Ashford saga is no different than the Birkin Saga. They're both in the ame vain.

I'm completely baffled by your posts.

IkariWarriorKH has received a thanks from: Gravedigger
 Profile WWW

PostPosted: Mar 17, 2012 10:48 
4// Itchy. Tasty.
4// Itchy. Tasty.

Favorite title: Biohazard (Rebirth)
Now playing: Biohazard 6
PSN: Jurkka
3DS: 317968275974
Yama said:
Quote:
I'm bored of rating the series already. We all have our favorite orders, but each and every title in the mainstream saga is great. Unless you are new to the games, ordering them based on quality is pretty much worthless, considering each title is a must have.

That what Yama said should be end of this thread already. Amen.

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2012 19:07 
"I need a herb!"
"I need a herb!"

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2012 19:19 
Rodimus Prime
Biohaze Coder

Now playing: Grand Theft Auto V
I'm amazed this thread has been alive for so long. :lol:

I'm with Yama, all main entry games are great. The spin offs, however, are where the series fall short.

Profile WWW

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2012 19:46 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

Favorite title: Biohazard Outbreak File: 2
Now playing: Rotting Aftermath
Outbreak ID: Ss4gog
PSN: Jordan_Ss4
XBL: Ss4gogeta0
Mr. Rod wrote:
I'm amazed this thread has been alive for so long. :lol:

I'm with Yama, all main entry games are great. The spin offs, however, are where the series fall short.

Correction... All main games "Except" RE 5...

and all the Spin offs except...

REO
RE Gun Survivor
and the one with Ark Thompson >.<
ohh dont Forget that Gaiden was pretty good...

Anything I learned about the world when I was a kid, I learned through the Carmen Sandiego series. She stole things in the US, she stole things around the world. Hell, she even built a time machine and stole things from the past. That right there, is dedication to the craft. She was an evil criminal mastermind, one of the greatest thieves ever, and she was totally dedicated to teaching you about the world and stuff. Carmen’s like some sort of highly educated, highly capable female Riddler, where instead of leaving you weird puzzles about doors not being doors, she leaves you notes telling you she’s going to be hanging out in Stalin’s birthplace.

Profile WWW YIM

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2012 19:53 
Rodimus Prime
Biohaze Coder

Now playing: Grand Theft Auto V
No, RE5 is a great game. Not being survival horror enough is one thing, but is a very well made game, it's fun and visually impressive.

Profile WWW

Post subject: Worst RE?
PostPosted: Apr 05, 2012 22:04 
Biohaze Owner
Biohaze Owner

Favorite title: Biohazard
Yeah, the way I see it is Biohazard 5 is a solid game, just not a solid Biohazard.

Plus this comment and thread is pre-BH5 iirc.

Profile WWW

PostPosted: May 29, 2012 20:44 
U.B.C.S. Trainee
U.B.C.S. Trainee

Nevermind.

[ 161 posts ] 

Forum index » Biohazard » Classic Biohazard

Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next