[ 23 posts ] 

Forum index » Biohazard » Classic Biohazard

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sep 21, 2011 18:49 
Monster
Biohaze Moderator

Favorite title: Biohazard 2
Back in 2000, this was considered the longest game in the series but times have changed. However, due to the peculiar nature of the zapping system and ammo allocation (and risk of getting poisoned), a speed run does require some thinking an planning before hand. My best record as I remember was about 1:40 or so in 2001 with the PS2 game.

I'll be attempting this again for the rocket launcher, and will post my general walkthrough tips. If anyone else has any tips or walkthroughs of their own that he/she would like to share, post them here.

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2011 4:09 
Random Cover Guy
Random Cover Guy

Favorite title: Biohazard CODE: Veronica
XBL: Symphony X 319
I have the GCN version, and the only "trick" I know of is to leave the lid of the system open while playing (it stops the game clock). This is obviously a massive cheat. However, I only cared about getting that beautiful infinite rocket launcher, so I could have cared less about gaming ethics.

If you're going to be playing the soon-to-be-released HD version, this is obviously of no use to you. The only true tip I know would be to save the three gas grenades you find in the prison for the Tyrant plane fight. These three grenades, when used against it, should weaken it to the point where only a few handgun rounds will be needed. After that, it should be damaged enough to be pushed out of the plane.

Also, when using the linear launcher at the end of the game, aim where you think Alexia will fly next. There's a lot of delay on that damned weapon.

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2011 13:13 
HOLY FUCKING CRAP
Biohaze Moderator

Favorite title: Biohazard 4
Now playing: Biohazard 6
1:40? Are you sure it wasn't 2:40 or 3:40?

I can barely get 1:30 in scenario A of RE2...

Profile WWW

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2011 13:58 
Monster
Biohaze Moderator

Nope, close to 1:40, perhaps a bit more (1:45-50) but less than 2 hours. I skipped on the bowgun for example and never bothered to save Rodrigo as Chris or gave him medicine as Claire etc. Including running past certain enemies where applicable. I just need a refresher run then I'll post what I did.

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2011 15:00 
Biohaze Owner
Biohaze Owner

Favorite title: Biohazard
To get an S-Rank the time limit is 4:30, so no worries either way. 1:40 for CODE: Veronica is overkill. I can honestly say I haven't tried speed running the game outside of the basic requirements though, always felt it was a horrible title for that. The first the Biohazard titles were perfect fits and as far as the longer three (CV,4 and 5), only biohazard 4 ever felt enjoyable in that regard. Looking forward to seeing your times though SG79, now that we have global leaderboards I wouldn't mind sitting down and doing a proper run with the game.

Profile WWW

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2011 23:57 
Monster
Biohaze Moderator

I haven't bothered with speed runs after Zero really. With RE4 in particular, due to the lack of puzzles, doing one just seems boring than fun and I honestly thought that RE5's length was comparable to the original games. Guess not :p

Admittedly CV can be a bitch due to their attempt of offering variety in terms of progress (which is ultimately linear anyway.. like the two blue emblems and so forth), as well as zapping. Then there is the Nosferatu poisoning risk, which can add a good 5 minutes to your progress.

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2011 12:35 
Biohaze Owner
Biohaze Owner

Favorite title: Biohazard
I'd say the most fun I've had is still the original, I'm in the 0:40's there. Especially the DS version with door skipping. I can't tell you how many completions I did on my plane ride to Japan, haha.

Despite biohazard 4 being a long game, I actually enjoy the speed runs quite a bit. I understand it's rather unconventional and perhaps even a little "cheesy", but being able to save after each segment really makes for a hassle free run. Didn't like the last segment time? Re-load. You can go about improving your time until the very end rather easily, it actually makes it a little more addicting (albeit forgiving), but a lot of fun. Considering it's length I appreciate it.

Profile WWW

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2011 16:50 
Tofu Tea
Tofu Tea

Favorite title: Biohazard CODE: Veronica
Now playing: With myself
PSN: Epic_Dreams
This is by far my favorite RE title, so the next you do a speed run, please record it if you can. 1:40 on this particular game is a bit unbelievable. Even when you skip the bow gun, saving Rodrigo, avoiding the worm, not using the fire extinguisher the 2nd round, avoiding some of the unnecessary rooms in Antarctica (As Claire), etc.. Not saying it's not possible, but like you stated this is a really long game. Congrats on such an achievement..

EDIT: Just watched a Youtube Video - the game was beaten in 1:57 - I guess it's no so farfetch'd then..

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2011 23:36 
The Chemist
Biohaze Supporter

PSN: TheMixedHerb
I'd love to give it a try sometime but I only want to when I can finally get my hands on a 60Hz copy of the game (so when I finally get the HD release). One general tip I can add which unfortunately only applies to one area I can think of off the top of my head right now.

When there are certain in-game animations going on and you open the inventory the animation will continue. The example I'm thinking of is in the Prison area where you place the Blue Emblem next to the guillotine, if you insert it and then open the menu, then leave it there for a few seconds, it'll have fully opened but the zombies will both be stuck to the right so you can quickly dash through the left as opposed to taking a forced hit.

Obviously getting poisoned by Noseferatu is a no-go for speedruns, the area where Claire's final part has a Red + Green herb mixture to her right, this is all you'll need to get through Steve provided you have enough health to survive the first axe swing. The first axe swing will hit (this is assuming you do an instant 180 and bolt for the exit), then you should heal, the second will hit but there's no point healing as the cutscene activates moments later. Saving time and healing items, not to mention Claire is never playable again so it doesn't matter.

During the first Bandersnatch battle there is actually a blind spot where you can safely fire with the Handgun without being hit once. If you instantly retreat back to where you grab the Sub Machine Guns and stay in that corner whilst firing constantly the Bandersnatch will aim attacks at you but none seem to connect. I have had a few times where it's ended up hitting me so I don't know if that was either my own error if it's somewhat temperamental in its execution.

As it has been previously said the Tyrant battle on the plane can be rendered effortless with the help of the BOW Gas Rounds, I personally fire all three off and then follow up with five explosive arrows from the Bowgun. That seems to be enough to do it quickly, not to mention it fires much faster than the Handguns, even the custom variants due to sheer firepower.

I've noticed speedrunners generally don't take the Side Pack as Chris, I assume it's simply seconds lost which could just be sorted out with good foresight and inventory management. Though it's much less out of the way for Claire and a lot more helpful for the item fetching around Rockfort.

It's obviously best to know every single puzzle solution in advance, I know pretty much all of them from memory now for each RE but I do tend to have a document open just in case my brain flakes when I need it. An example would be that the passcode for the door in the facility is NTC0394, if you already know this it obviously saves time on going upstairs, getting the keycard, examining it, coming back downstairs and then inputting it. If anybody would like me to post the solutions in their simplest forms then I'll be willing to post it, I won't here in case people don't need/want it.

Sadly I've not spent any time into speedrun attempts for this game as to put it bluntly, I really don't like playing for speed in 50Hz, so as I'm a PAL gamer and therefore own said version I'm waiting until I can finally get my hands on the HD release as that will be in 60Hz.

Profile WWW

PostPosted: Sep 30, 2011 7:09 
Monster
Biohaze Moderator

A friendly reminder that getting an S rank requires giving the hemostatic medicine to Rodrigo. I remembered this the hard way.

[ 23 posts ] 

Forum index » Biohazard » Classic Biohazard

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next