[ 58 posts ] 

Forum index » Biohazard » Modern Biohazard

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: The Mold
PostPosted: Sep 13, 2017 17:01 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

XBL: EvilResident777
Since this mold-like fungus has recently entered the canon with 7, we know very little about why it can do what it does or where it comes from.
I thought it would be nice to have a place to discuss it and to compile all known info on it.

The only place I could find the in-game files pertaining to it online was at the wiki:

http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/R%26D_Report_(1_of_2)
http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/R%26D_Report_(2_of_2)
http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/E-Necrotoxin_Document
http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Infection_Report
http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Email_Log
http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor%27s_Letter
http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Marguerite%27s_Notebook

These are all from localization too, so take it with a grain of salt. I believe NEXBAS and Mutamycete are not found in the original, and it is mistakenly referred to as bacteria at one point (I remember hearing the Japanese word used can refer to either bacteria or fungi).

Anyone with further info, like the text from the credits, translations, or supplemental material, please feel free to contribute.
Future info will also be added.

Otherwise, this is the place to talk about the Mold, as well as the mutants/mutations created by it. I have several things in mind already, but I will leave it there for now.

EDIT: Some more files somewhat relevant to the Mold:

http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Travis%27_Memo_(Back)
http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Names_(Front)
http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Names_(Back)

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2017 17:08 
Master of Unlocking
Master of Unlocking

Favorite title: Biohazard 3 Last Escape
PSN: dynamite_headdy
Indeed, NEXBAS is something they invented for the english version as far as I know, so you can omit that completely from the canon basically.

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2017 20:50 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

Found the text for the files shown during the credits on Reddit:

Quote:
The product is a bioweapons commodity created by the Bioweapons Division. It takes the form of a child (in this case a girl named Eveline) which can be purchased and raised to suit individual client needs. Its purpose is mind control - up to and including inducement to violence. Application can vary from political and military to economic destabilization. Method of inducement: Chemical transferance of psychotropic compounds via skin to skin contact between Product and Subject inducing a mentally suggestive state in the Subject responsive only to Product.

If the injections are skipped for prolonged periods of time the Product will age rapidly - 24 Xs faster than normal. Eventually the Product will become insane and a danger to all around it. No tests have been run on Subjects depriving them of mantenance chemicals for more than 6 months as the situation became too dangerous for observation. The Product also affects its environment mutating plants and promoting growth of a highly toxic pychotropic mold, the ingestion of which causes insanity and severe mutations to those who ingest it. There is some indication the use of the mold could revive the recently deceased.

However, this has yet to be tested. Early subjects were destroyed much too quickly to collect definitive data on this. Product should ship with a minimum of two Handlers each equipped with serum immunizing them to Product's control as well as the requisite Stabilizing Compounds. Handlers should be equipped tracking equipment tuned to Product's Biochemistry. One of the Handlers should imprint the Product as a close relative, either as a mother or as a father figure. This will aide in controlling Product during field operations. Product is ready for field testing which should initiated as soon as possible. Suitable clients should exist in the Americas, and one should be selected ASAP for test delivery.

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2017 8:50 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

Breakdown of above text:

Quote:
The product is a bioweapons commodity created by the Bioweapons Division.

Strange the term BOW is never used in 7. Since it says Bioweapons Division, that must mean BOW development is not the exclusive trade of the group that made Eveline. A pharmaceutical company, perhaps? I doubt it's a government, as they also have a branch in the Americas.
Quote:
It takes the form of a child (in this case a girl named Eveline) which can be purchased and raised to suit individual client needs. Its purpose is mind control - up to and including inducement to violence. Application can vary from political and military to economic destabilization.

It says purchased then raised. I would imagine the rapid aging plays into this.
Quote:
Method of inducement: Chemical transferance of psychotropic compounds via skin to skin contact between Product and Subject inducing a mentally suggestive state in the Subject responsive only to Product.

This must be what Jack meant when he said "not exactly" to Ethan saying it was mind control. She does not control them in the sense of a puppet, she just makes them subseptible to her suggestion (also why they can sometimes resist).
Quote:
If the injections are skipped for prolonged periods of time the Product will age rapidly - 24 Xs faster than normal. Eventually the Product will become insane and a danger to all around it. No tests have been run on Subjects depriving them of mantenance chemicals for more than 6 months as the situation became too dangerous for observation.

I wonder if this is due to the Mold itself, or if the Product is geneticly manipulated to age faster (to mature into the desired form. Someone pointed out it could also be a failsafe: if she is out of control, then she will die of old age), with the insanity being a side effect.
Quote:
The Product also affects its environment mutating plants and promoting growth of a highly toxic pychotropic mold, the ingestion of which causes insanity and severe mutations to those who ingest it.

What does it mean "mutating plants"? I don't recall that in 7.
It says the Mold is toxic. That's probably why it kills fish and birds.

The Mold itself causes insanity, not the Product. With Eveline dead, Ethan, Mia, Zoe and Jack are not in the clear. Was Lucas also cured of this effect? Maybe he was given something to clear away the Mold growths in his brain (see "Doctor's Letter" file above). A file says this is to break down the ego of hosts, making them more subseptible to control.

One of the Baker victims (Travis, I think) said he was forced to eat their food, as was Clancy and Ethan. Based on Marguerite's dialog at the beginning of "Bedroom", it seems ingestion of the Mold causes faster infection. Maybe Eveline vomited into Marguerite's mouth in "Daughters", who then did the same with Jack using her "babies". It would explain how Ethan was able to resist control for so long.
Quote:
There is some indication the use of the mold could revive the recently deceased. However, this has yet to be tested. Early subjects were destroyed much too quickly to collect definitive data on this.

Is this refering to the Molded (the cop's corpse was turning into one), or to how Jack could "die" and revive?
Quote:
Product should ship with a minimum of two Handlers each equipped with serum immunizing them to Product's control as well as the requisite Stabilizing Compounds. Handlers should be equipped tracking equipment tuned to Product's Biochemistry. One of the Handlers should imprint the Product as a close relative, either as a mother or as a father figure. This will aide in controlling Product during field operations. Product is ready for field testing which should initiated as soon as possible. Suitable clients should exist in the Americas, and one should be selected ASAP for test delivery.

If Mia and Alan had a serum immunizing them, how were they infected? Was this serum the Necrotoxin? Why did they bother with the D-series when they could use an E-series toxin? D seemed ineffective.

It seems Mold infection can come from touch, ingestion, and inhalation of spores. Eveline was a walking biohazard.
I wonder what ended up infecting Ethan - Mia's touch, or stepping foot on that property, and taking in a deep breath?

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: The Mold
PostPosted: Sep 14, 2017 17:58 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

Another thread relevant to this one:
http://www.biohaze.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=151325#p151325

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2017 22:28 
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
"You did a fine job."
Project Umbrella

Favorite title: Biohazard 2
PSN: NewsBot
Quote:
Is this refering to the Molded (the cop's corpse was turning into one), or to how Jack could "die" and revive?

The latter, Mia showcases this ability at the start of the game.

Their struggle for existence is over for the time being.
But a sin violating sanctuary isn't forgiven.
This is not just an end.
This is the end of a beginning.

News Bot has received a thanks from: EvilResident
 Profile WWW

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2017 0:47 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

News Bot wrote:
Quote:

The latter, Mia showcases this ability at the start of the game.

So she and Jack literally died multiple times? I thought it was similar to the t-virus, with hosts technically kept alive.

I wonder, are the Molded all actually infected people? A file mentions the Mold creating super organisms made up entirely of the fungus, and many appear to spawn from the Mold itself. Yet the dead deputy appears to have been in the process of becoming one, as well as Travis in the incineration room.

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2017 10:13 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

Favorite title: Biohazard (Rebirth)
Now playing: Biohazard 0
PSN: matiasw93
EvilResident wrote:
So she and Jack literally died multiple times? I thought it was similar to the t-virus, with hosts technically kept alive.

I wonder, are the Molded all actually infected people? A file mentions the Mold creating super organisms made up entirely of the fungus, and many appear to spawn from the Mold itself. Yet the dead deputy appears to have been in the process of becoming one, as well as Travis in the incineration room.

I believe that Eveline could control the growth of the mold, that's how she managed to keep it at bay inside of Mia and the Bakers, otherwise, they would've transformed into Molded during that 3 year period.
The Molded are probably both infected people as well as super organisms just made of fungus. Some of those Molded spawning from the Mold itself might actually be camouflage to ambush prey, they could've been human hosts that soon managed to blend themselves within the mold once the Molded stage was achieved.
As you said, Travis and Deputy Anderson are proof enought that people can actually turn into Molded.

- Chris Redfield

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2017 11:30 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

Captain Redfield wrote:
I believe that Eveline could control the growth of the mold, that's how she managed to keep it at bay inside of Mia and the Bakers, otherwise, they would've transformed into Molded during that 3 year period.

Agreed.
Quote:
The Molded are probably both infected people as well as super organisms just made of fungus. Some of those Molded spawning from the Mold itself might actually be camouflage to ambush prey, they could've been human hosts that soon managed to blend themselves within the mold once the Molded stage was achieved.
As you said, Travis and Deputy Anderson are proof enought that people can actually turn into Molded.

The second R&D report says they are made of the Mold itself, and spawning Molded appear to grow from the ground up.
What I don't understand then is why are people sometimes needed? Are they absorbed by the Mold collective, then used to fuel the growth of new Molded?
Maybe slain Molded are "recycled": absorbed back into the Mold and reformed or used to fuel new Molded (similiar to Necromorphs from the Dead Space series), providing an explanation for disappearing bodies.
But then, what about the file found under the guest house listing certain victims as turned, others as dead?

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2017 11:32 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

Favorite title: Biohazard (Rebirth)
The human turned molded still retain their facial features.

[ 58 posts ] 

Forum index » Biohazard » Modern Biohazard

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next