Forum index » Biohazard » Modern Biohazard

Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112  Next
PostPosted: Feb 08, 2018 12:45 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

Favorite title: Biohazard (Rebirth)
Now playing: Biohazard Remaster
PSN: matiasw93
The Ring, that type of horror is something I don't want to see in the series ever again. The hallucination factor alluded me to a more psychological approach rather than fighting a threat that was physically there all the time.

Back on topic, I wonder if they are going to keep that scene for Remake 2 WR hahah
Also, that girl should've just made a run for it, the Bowgun isn't that big of a weapon against Lickers :lol:
As for the Lickers, I disagree that they became a joke. The Hunters in Revelations were easy peasy and that was disappointing, I agree. Although, the Lickers in 5 were persistent and definitely a huge threat without a Magnum or GL with acid or nitrogen rounds, they could suck your health quickly as well... That part where Chris needs to move that thing in the platform while they are behind him is nerve-racking.
RE5 made justice to the Lickers. Let's hope Remake 2 gets the job done as well.

- Chris Redfield

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2018 12:48 
"I need a herb!"
"I need a herb!"

Favorite title: Biohazard
Action was always part of RE, but there was always a nice balance between action and horror. The mechanics of the game always put you in a vulnerable state making the horror effective. I think that, essentially, survival horror is just a sub-genre of action games.

The real problem with RE4, 5 and 6 is that this balance between action and horror is completely broken. They are real action games with few horror elements. Are they still horror games ? Not really but the context and situations the characters are put into are still somewhat horrific.

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2018 14:01 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

XBL: EvilResident777
Captain Redfield wrote:
The Ring, that type of horror is something I don't want to see in the series ever again. The hallucination factor alluded me to a more psychological approach rather than fighting a threat that was physically there all the time.

It's not like RE7 didn't have BOWs. Adding in an extra layer with hallucinations doesn't detract from that. The perfect example would be Dead Space.

To everyone arguing about horror in RE4-6, notice I listed games like SH and RE7 as PURE horror, and gave RE6 "action horror". I'm not lumping everything on the same level.

RE4 was more horror oriented than RE5 though. There are several sections that terrified me as a kid (Regeneradors, Armadura in Ashley's section, and the Verdugo fight). RE5 had some tense moments with Lickers, Reapers, and crocodiles, but without the dark lighting and ominous music.

Back on topic, people have repeatedly stated that REmake 2 should not be like DC. But one thing that game did excellently with is the monsters. They retain everything that made the old ones look great, while adding new details. I hope the jump to photorealism doesn't negatively affect that. Honestly, that would bother me far more than messing up Leon, Claire or Ada.

"The diabolical sometimes adopts the appearance of good, or even embodies itself completely therein"
    - Franz Kafka

"And around here, family is a righteous cause!"
    - Joe Baker

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2018 12:40 
Wasting Ammo
Wasting Ammo

They were all mostly horror up to, and sort of including RE4. Even Survivor and Dead Aim were arguably NOT truly horror games either. But people don't generally count these games, as they are merely spin off titles. Outbreak was kind of a co-op game done right, as you weren't like part of an army that had access to tons of guns, and things you picked up like mops were eventually broken. Everyone felt somewhat weak in comparison to Leon and all that, and that they had different personal skills, so this all helped to balance it out. Then of course, horror games that should have been great with modern day graphics, like Operation Raccoon City, couldn't even hold a candle to Outbreak. So I can see why people want that in HD again, despite being retro.

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2018 0:55 
Wasting Ammo
Wasting Ammo

Favorite title: Biohazard 3 Last Escape
RE4 definitely does have horror elements, but it's all in the presentation. The classics did their horror differently, where your character feels more vulnerable. The finite resources, the loss of progress if you didn't save (no check points here guys), the actual perspective and presentation of the environment giving you that sense of dread and hopelessness. That's really what it comes down to when comparing both styles of RE's, specifically RE1-3 to RE4.

I do believe that RE5 and 6 are completely removed from the horror world and throwing monsters at you in that game did not make it horror. It was pure action. RE4 had the same type of action but in some key locations it tried to build tension and horror atmosphere. RE5 and 6 feel like they discarded that completely.

OTS also lends itself more to an action/shooting type formula for a game. I'm sure it could be used to do a good survival horror game but as of now, Capcom has not produced a good example of this, even the Revelations series feel lackluster in that department.

RE7 was well made and definitely a horror game, but that particular style (first person horror) was never my thing.

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2018 9:36 
Wasting Ammo
Wasting Ammo

RE7 is great as well, although somewhat strange. The game lacked a variety of enemies. Apart from the Baker family, we never saw much new monsters until the DLC arrived, and even then, there weren't that many new creatures at all. Lucas was a great villain, though, so I don't really mind much.

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2018 3:19 
U.B.C.S. Trainee
U.B.C.S. Trainee

Favorite title: Biohazard
Now playing: Resident Evil 7
PSN: Goldsickle
Moldy M.F. wrote:
RE7 is great as well, although somewhat strange. The game lacked a variety of enemies. Apart from the Baker family, we never saw much new monsters until the DLC arrived, and even then, there weren't that many new creatures at all. Lucas was a great villain, though, so I don't really mind much.

A portion of the development time went to making the RE Engine from scratch, as well as implementation of VR.
They could have just utilized a general-use Engine but the team decided that RE7 needs a special engine.

Jun Takeuchi also insists that there will be no delays and it affects certain portion of the game, such as which character you choose late in the game and possibly the enemy variety.

Goldsickle has received a thanks from: Blackbird

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2018 13:57 
Wasting Ammo
Wasting Ammo

So I assume RE2 won't be shown until E3 now. That's very far away. I hope the wait is way worth it (fingers crossed here).

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2018 19:10 
Chief of Police, co-conspirator
Chief of Police, co-conspirator

Favorite title: Biohazard (Rebirth)
Now playing: Okami HD
PSN: CarabinaBR
Talking about Resi 2, i can't stop playing it since my first time with it.

That crown belonged to Resident Evil 4 and 5 for a looong time, before RE7 reaching my hands and playing it directly during an entire year. But now, when i started playing the original Resident Evil 2 last year for the first time, it's basically 8 complete runs at this point.

I was downloading my copy of Okami HD today, and i thought about making a quick playthough on the early sections of the game, but basically i spended three hours with it and finished another run.

The game thematically is so effective and well executed, i really wanna go back over and over again to walk through the corridors of the R.P.D. and face those enemies, while listening to that impeccable soundtrack and draining inside the atmosphere of the fallen Raccoon City.

It's just a fun ride everytime, being much more simple to get through instead titles like REmake, Resi 3 and Code Veronica for an example, and i think that works in favor of an experience that you can't get enough, because it's not too much complicated but it still gives you the right amount of challenge, bringing elements that are purely fun to face again, which reminds me a lot of my time with RE4 when i was younger.

What a masterpiece. Thinking more and more about it, this game really feels like the Resident Evil 4 of its own time, and that makes me extremely excited and hopeful about REmake 2.

I just can't wait man.

Blackbird has received a thanks from: EvilResident

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2018 23:43 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

XBL: EvilResident777
Blackbird wrote:
Talking about Resi 2, i can't stop playing it since my first time with it.

That crown belonged to Resident Evil 4 and 5 for a looong time, before RE7 reaching my hands and playing it directly during an entire year. But now, when i started playing the original Resident Evil 2 last year for the first time, it's basically 8 complete runs at this point.

I was downloading my copy of Okami HD today, and i thought about making a quick playthough on the early sections of the game, but basically i spended three hours with it and finished another run.

The game thematically is so effective and well executed, i really wanna go back over and over again to walk through the corridors of the R.P.D. and face those enemies, while listening to that impeccable soundtrack and draining inside the atmosphere of the fallen Raccoon City.

It's just a fun ride everytime, being much more simple to get through instead titles like REmake, Resi 3 and Code Veronica for an example, and i think that works in favor of an experience that you can't get enough, because it's not too much complicated but it still gives you the right amount of challenge, bringing elements that are purely fun to face again, which reminds me a lot of my time with RE4 when i was younger.

What a masterpiece. Thinking more and more about it, this game really feels like the Resident Evil 4 of its own time, and that makes me extremely excited and hopeful about REmake 2.

I just can't wait man.

RE2 really is something special. It has the best monster designs in the series for me, which is a massive draw, and everything else you said I second.

My favorites (at the moment):

1. RE7
2. RE2, RE5
3. REmake

"The diabolical sometimes adopts the appearance of good, or even embodies itself completely therein"
    - Franz Kafka

"And around here, family is a righteous cause!"
    - Joe Baker

[ 1119 posts ] 

Forum index » Biohazard » Modern Biohazard

Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112  Next