Forum index » Biohazard » Modern Biohazard

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mar 14, 2012 13:18 
Random Cover Guy
Random Cover Guy

Favorite title: Biohazard (Rebirth)
Now playing: UMvC3, RE6, Black Ops 2
XBL: obZen24
So I finally finished the game about a week ago. I've tried out Raid Mode, and am going through the campaign a second time. I've come to the conclusion that this game doesn't deliver.

My biggest gripe with the game is the fact that the game tries to do two styles (action and survival horror), and does neither particularly well. The survival horror is pretty simplistic, straightforward, and lacks the charm and atmosphere of the older titles. The action segments are also quiet uninteresting. Enemies aren't as fun to fight as they are in RE4/RE5. The enemies themselves are pretty uncreative. The story was a total throw away. The game doesn't live up to its name sake whatsoever. The "revelation" had me saying "who cares?" There are also several tedious sequences in the game. This includes the on rail sections and the swimming parts as well.

I tried Raid Mode. Its okay at best. The customization, character leveling, etc are cool. But the gameplay is fairly dull. You just blast anything that moves while using the most powerful weapons. I do enjoy playing as Jill and Keith, but the mode is pretty boring in comparison to past side modes the series has had.

Overall, I feel this game is lacking. It feel like unnecessary fan service that serves no real purpose other than being mindless fan service. What's strange is that this should have been like a love letter to me. I enjoy both styles of Resident Evil and my favorite character takes the lead in this game (along with Chris). But my interest in this game is already waning. Which is sad because I replay nearly every RE games multiple times.

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2012 17:48 
The Dragon
Chat Moderator

Favorite title: Biohazard 4
Now playing: Resident Evil 6
PSN: Robyn-The-Dragon
I can't really write anything that will compare to what you've said- but I see we both really like Jill and I bet we can both appreciate that we got to see her, because I do agree that is was a fanservice.
I actually really enjoyed the game. I noticed that they copied the mansion from RE:1 in some ways, or at least tried to give it that atmosphere. Many RE fans complained about going back to the basics, so I can't complain because I believe that is what capcom did. But am I the only one that thought making it a 3DS "exclusive" was like a slap in the face? I feel betrayed, just like when Darkside/Umbrella chronicles was released for WII just to boost sales.
The only other thing I agree with was the uninspired monsters. The tyrant at the end was unexpected, but the most creative of all, along with Rachel. The rest were just blobs and sea critters. So I agree there.
Also, Raid mode was soooo addictive until I beat the first level mode. After that all of the environments were the same- but getting new weapons and interacting with people was fun. I haven't gone back for a second campain round, but the fact that it was a prequel just kind of shows that it WAS a fanservice. But hey- they deliver and I buy it. :) Like your input though.

Profile WWW

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2012 15:20 
Random Cover Guy
Random Cover Guy

Now playing: UMvC3, RE6, Black Ops 2
XBL: obZen24
Thank you. I appreciate your input. I will say this, playable Jill is what saved the game for me. Without her, I'd probably quit playing this game already. However, I need to make an argument for Mr. Lumley as well. He's a friggin' dork but I find it funny to do his "thanks" command after killing a powerful enemy while playing raid solo. He says "you da man." Reminds of Josh and his taunts. But its sad that Keith, Quint and Parker are the only worthwhile characters in the game.

And as much as I do like Jill, I felt she was a complete waste here. She did nothing interesting and she was incredibly stiff and boring. Same goes for Chris. I like him a lot as well, and I think he has more character than people give him credit for. But he took boring to a whole new plateau in Revelations. I imagined he'd have at least a witty line or two with Jessica since she hits on him so much. I know Chris is all business... but come on.

As far as going back to the basics is concerned, they tried that and failed with Lost In Nightmares too. Once again, the only saving grace was my two favorite characters being playable. I agree they tried, but either the attempts are half hearted or Capcom just flat out don't have it in them anymore. I know its hard to re-create how brilliant REmake was, but RE3 and RECVX had a bit of charm that Revelations and LiN lack. If anything, Revelations reminded me a lot of the first Dead Space. It had excellent presentation but the atmosphere and enemies got tiresome and predictable quickly.

This isn't the first time I've had to buy a Nintendo product I wasn't initially interested in because of Resident Evil. I bought a Gamecube and nearly a Wii. I have a 3DS because of Mercenaries 3DS and Revelations. But Mario Kart 7 is cool. So I know what you mean.

And on a final note, I think its pretty funny that there is a soda machine in Revelations called "Trish." Its interesting mainly because my main team in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is Jill, Deadpool, and Trish. And technically, the ship is in a "pool" of water and you are surrounded by dead things. Okay, I'll stop now.

PostPosted: Mar 18, 2012 4:23 
"I need a herb!"
"I need a herb!"

Now playing: Outlast
PSN: PlyMood
I kinda agree with you on the atmosphere, I thought it was going to be a revival of the old times but I was wrong. Although the setting of the game is kind of scary, (like being stuck in a ship that is sinking gradually) but the episode thing made all the tension go away if you get what I mean.

PostPosted: Mar 18, 2012 18:39 
Jill Sandwich
Jill Sandwich

Now playing: Batman: Arkham City
PSN: solarstar81
Seriously, what was the point of trying to make it look like a miniseries?

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2012 23:16 
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

PSN: dvader654
I think its pretty great, but I think most RE games are excellent. Honestly its ranked near the bottom of the main series list for me I still think it is a fantastic portable game though.

Profile YIM

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2012 23:20 
Mikami's Head
Mikami's Head

Now playing: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
PSN: seanquan
XBL: seanquans
manhunter wrote:
Seriously, what was the point of trying to make it look like a miniseries?

Probably to tailor to people who play the game on the go. Obviously, since it's on a portable title this addition was thrown in to remind people who pick it up and play and go.

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2012 23:21 
Rodimus Prime
Biohaze Coder

Now playing: Grand Theft Auto V
THIS game is dissapointing? Play ORC and then comeback please. / rant :razz:

To me Revelations is an excellent RE title, may not be perfect but is what the series much needed: a nice balance of old school with action. Can it be improved? Of course, but this is finally the first title that actually dares to do so.

Mr. Rod has received a thanks from: A Ganado Zombie
 Profile WWW

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2012 5:46 
Dark Dimension Ruler
Biohaze Supporter

Favorite title: Biohazard Outbreak File: 2
Now playing: Resident Evil 6
PSN: IkariKH
XBL: IkariKH
3DS: 021608877120
I think it did survival horror rather well. It had tension and atmosphere and enemies actually could be threatening at times.

Main problem for me was the story. It was Interesting on my first play through as it kept me wanting to play more to find out what happens next. So they succeeded in keeping the pace just right.

But at the end of the day when the plot is revealed and the game is over you just feel kinda like "that's it?". It feela anticlimatic at best. That's my main gripe with it.

Raid is fun and I enjoyed it all the way through each difficulty. But then it too grows old and lacks true replayability.

Still a good game overall. Just not one I would replay too much sadly.

Sent from my Droid

Profile WWW

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2012 1:28 
4// Itchy. Tasty.
4// Itchy. Tasty.

Now playing: Biohazard 6
PSN: Jurkka
3DS: 317968275974
Somewhat I can agree with you. For me the game isn't completely lame and not completely fine either. It's not my favourite one of the series.
I like it because its 3D, on handheld, couple first runs were scary. But then I don't like the story telling (jumping back and forth, situations to another) so the game is overall 'Comme ci comme ca'.

[ 39 posts ] 

Forum index » Biohazard » Modern Biohazard

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next