[ 51 posts ] 

Forum index » Biohazard » Modern Biohazard

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: May 28, 2010 10:16 
Jill Sandwich
Jill Sandwich

Favorite title: Biohazard 4
WeskerArklay wrote:
-Splitting everything up into chapters like Resident Evil 5 did removes the tension. RE4 did this but you still felt like you had some sense of progression. I don't know how to really explain this but thats how it felt for me at least.

For me, it was because you actually revisited areas in Resident Evil 4. It was still a linear progression, but it at least gave the feel of an adventure game thanks to its scope and the ability to backtrack, even if it was more limited than previous games. In Resident Evil 5, you're always moving forward. You can never go back once you've entered a new area, and you never revisit any of the previous areas in the game.

And I think that's something that worked to Resident Evil 4's advantage. Once you returned to previous area, there was always something different about it. It wasn't exactly the same as you left it, so it played with your expectations a bit. I still remember the rush I got going back through the village at night time with Ashley in tow. Resident Evil 6 needs to have something similar to this, if it isn't as open-ended as the pre-Resident Evil 4 titles.

Another issue with Resident Evil 5's stages is that each area felt more like they were designed as multiplayer maps than anything. None of the areas particularly meshed with each other very well, and they really felt more like "stages" rather than a cohesive, connected environment. There was no real rhyme or reason as to why one area led to another. It was like moving from one arena to another.

This can be said about some of the locations in Resident Evil 4, sure, but as a whole it gelled together more convincingly and naturally than Resident Evil 5's locations.

PostPosted: May 28, 2010 20:40 
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

PSN: dvader654
Excellent topic, the ideas here are all great. Clearly Capcom can't just give us RE4 again, we do want something new.

Here is my idea, and it borrows elements from what you guys wrote. Two characters, two different scenarios like RE2. This time though they play completely different. One character is a military type so the game is action heavy and plays like RE4. The other character is a normal civilian and this person has to improvise or hide themselves away from danger, this gives us a completely different type of gameplay experience.

The games setting needs to be brought back to a town, no more world exploring locations that don't resonate with us. It needs to be a normal town (ok not so normal cause I want puzzles back) where an outbreak happens. I like the idea of a semi open ended game. You can choose different paths but they all lead to the same point which is an area that advances the story. For instance the military guy needs to reach a convoy setup at the other end of the city. Now you can take the main road but that is probably filled with zombies, take some alley ways but who knows what creepy stuff lives there or go through buildings which can lead to supplies but who knows what else. The heavily scripted stuff comes at the objective locations, these segments can play out like a huge RE4 setpiece.

The controls need to be changed, full analog control, push the stick in the direction you want to move and they move that way. Your character will be able to move like a person, they can duck, crawl, jump, climb, etc. In a way it should feel a bit like Uncharted. In this game you will need to navigate an urban setting which will may require jumping from rooftops, getting up on dumpsters or cars, inside buildings you will need to be able to jump over furniture so they may be used as objects to create barriers. When you aim the camera will go back to it's normal over the shoulder position but this time you can move while aiming. Though I would impose a slight penalty like have the cursor a bit shaky if you move while aiming, to get a steady shot you need to stand still.

For the civilian character they will need to be able to pick up and use ordinary items. If they are running from something they need to be able to drop stuff to block the path of the enemy. They can use the stick of a mop, a chair, kitchen knives, any every day item as a melee weapon. But not as a way to kill things, more of a way to keep enemies at bay. A fight with a licker as this character should be as frightening as a boss fight. Just to keep things incredibly tense I would throw in a Nemesis like enemy that follows you around like a Terminator, not all the time but enough to know you are never safe. There will be elements of stealth, or I should say hiding for dear life as you hope to avoid certain enemies. You know the horror movies where the character is hiding in a closet and they could see the monster and they try to not breathe not make a noise but of course they do so the monster turns and faces the closet and slowly comes. I want that in this game.

The camera will be completely changed. I want a cinematic camera, something like GoW or Uncharted. Obviously when you aim it is always behind the back but at other times I want the most cinematic shot, like old RE games but without being stuck in one spot. I want the camera to shake a bit, when a zombie horde is on you I want the camera to convey that sense of urgency by moving about, simulating a struggle. Imagine this scenario, the solider enters a dark alley the camera is positioned behind the character and low to the ground to show the full length of the creepy dark alley. As you go in it starts to pan up to give a better view of what is in front of you. You hear something behind you so you enter aim mode to check it out and you see some crimson heads coming full speed into the alley. You decide to run down the alley now the camera is set to a sideways sort of overhead shot of the alley so you may see your character running and the zombies in pursuit behind you. As you reach the dead end of the alley pans above and looks behind your character as you see the zombie horde closing in.

I would love for there to be plenty of puzzles and locked places that need keys. I want that maze feeling of old RE's back.

dvader has received a thanks from: Agent Wong
 Profile YIM

PostPosted: May 29, 2010 4:46 
Chief of Police, co-conspirator
Chief of Police, co-conspirator

Favorite title: Biohazard (Rebirth)
Now playing: Resident Evil: Revelations
PSN: Tyrant_57
Amen.

The maze feeling is the thing I miss the most, being lost in a giant location, not knowing whats going to happen or when your going to have to backtrack again. Always worried about if what you have in your inventory is going to get you through. But I must say I like the camera system they have going now, (even though I like the old one more), It would just frustrate me if they changed it again. They should wait untill after 6 to change it again, if they must.

PostPosted: May 29, 2010 13:02 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

Favorite title: Biohazard 2
PSN: gransport
Brilliant ideas, dvade. TRULY brilliant ideas.

Just to raise a question, if zombies are in re6, how slow do we want them to walk/stumble forward?
Furthermore, what do we want them to look and act?

I'm hoping they have every zombie different from another, whether it be in model structure or clothing, or flesh wounds.

PostPosted: May 29, 2010 19:41 
Grappling-Hook Maniac
Biohaze Supporter

Now playing: Resident Evil 6
Awesome pitch Dave. You are definitely an idea man, they need someone like you for the creative department at some game developer. I wouldn't care which one, but some place needs that cranium coming up with inventive and alternative solutions to stale rehashes. Definite thanks for that.

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2010 16:20 
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

PSN: dvader654
Thanks guys. I wish I could share my ideas but they are usually too ambitious, games do have budgets and such.

Profile YIM

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2010 16:57 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

PSN: gransport
:twisted: come on, share your ideas..!

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2010 20:32 
Grappling-Hook Maniac
Biohaze Supporter

Now playing: Resident Evil 6
What he means by that is that he couldn't really share his ideas with the game developers, production team etc. because (and I see where he is going with this) most of the time ideas from fans would take quite alot of time and/or capital to implement into something. But to be frank, still giving them ideas may help out some, they could work the game around some of the ideas that you pitch. All in all it doesn't hurt to speak your peace though.

Agent Wong has received 2 thanks from: dvader, Wesker_Midnight

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2010 2:47 
Jill Sandwich
Jill Sandwich

Favorite title: Biohazard CODE: Veronica
Agent Wong wrote:
But to be frank, still giving them ideas may help out some, they could work the game around some of the ideas that you pitch. All in all it doesn't hurt to speak your peace though.

what if Capcom have few guys with Special Task to keep up with what RE community is talking about? much earlier, here i was complaining about metal inventory case in RE4, where Leon doesn't actually carry in-game. bam! RE5 and was happy to see that it was gone as old memory. since bioHaze has become popular among the community (see below pic), we should better express our ideas no matter what with well organized topics.

Profile YIM

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2010 12:11 
U.B.C.S. Trainee
U.B.C.S. Trainee

Favorite title: Biohazard 3 Last Escape
Now playing: RE5 Gold Edition, RE5, RE3
PSN: Wesker_Midnight1
One history with Claire and Jill, lol

Profile WWW
 [ 51 posts ] 

Forum index » Biohazard » Modern Biohazard

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next