PostPosted: Jun 27, 2016 5:15 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

Favorite title: Biohazard (Rebirth)
Now playing: Resident Evil Revelations ×100
PSN: sevil_yelims
XBL: McDickins69
Series Spoilers

First off, if you have the time I'd like you to take a moment and watch this video from The Gaming Brit Show:

phpBB [video]

Now that you've seen it, I thought it would be a great time to reflect on the series up till now because this body of work is the foundation for which RE7 hopes to continue off of.

Some years back, I was sprung with a question by a fan of these games that pondered where the series could go past RE6. My answer may or may not shock you depending on your thoughts of RE6 but I opted for a complete series reboot.

My justification was simple: RE6 was Capcom blowing their wad. It was building on the action laid out in RE4, the co-op of RE5, and took it to its most extreme level with more quick time events, more melle prompts, and more explosions that literally start from beginning to end.

I couldn't see any hope of a return to form, and unless the next game took place in outer space I also couldn't see how Capcom could further the action in a positive manner that would satisfy critics and fans alike.

It's more than just the gameplay style though. Because these characters that I've grown to love are now fully trained combatants to BOWs world wide, I saw no point in exploring further adventures unless some stakes were raised like main characters dying which I didn't see happen anytime soon.

Spin offs like Revelations 2 were good fun, and not as action packed as RE6, but it didn't feel like we were approaching any kind of new ground with these kinds of titles. It felt at times like corners were cut to make a smaller scale low budget game that could sell just enough to get by. And the story was already reaching in extremes. Fan favorite character, Albert Wesker was dead in a book end conclusion, and so apart from reviving him again (which may still be in the cards apparently) we were given other Wesker characters to fill that void in some capacity. A wise cracking rogue of a son looking to get rich, and a sibling imprinted into the body of a child living under the Burtons' care. No matter whether or not you were entertained by these characters or plots, the ideas of where each one will end up in later releases leave little room for building up the kind of fear and horror you'd expect from the earlier games.

So why a series reboot? Simple. I wanted a game that went back to the mansion. Back to mystery, exploration, and survival in the most desperate of times. I wanted to be scared, but also find surprises in the formula again. I wanted Residemt Evil to come back to square one and not rely on extremes in the story or gameplay to sell its latest installment.

Enter RE7. A game that baffles me given Capcom's stance on who they wanted to target the series towards, and how games like Umbrella Corps continue to encourage their desire to rake in sales from the Call of Duty multiplayer crowd.

RE7 wasn't at all what I expected it to be. I'm not talking about a first person game cause a part of me always expected that to eventually come to fruition at some point, especially if they were to heighten the action even further. Why not go full FPS? It would certainly link to Call of Duty by that point. And yet we have a game focused on atmosphere, exploration, and mystery. Combat seems to be there, but to what extent? Will the action ever heighten to RE6 levels at any point in the game?

You see, the devs made it pretty clear that this was a sequel and not a series reboot. It will follow after RE6, and frankly... As excited for this game as I am, and regardless of how much I want to believe it will be as good as RE1... I'm skeptical of how this will be implemented. This game, even the teaser demo that stands on its own, is part of the same world that shares The Wesker Children, dinosaur/fly c-virus mutations, parasites planted in human hosts that tried to take over the White House at one point. It may wish to go back to the basics of the first three games, but it has to also be a part of the world that followed in RE4-6 as well.

Considering the number of outbreaks and BOWs reported, I'm wondering why anyone would wonder if a house was haunted or if there were strange sightings without just sending out the BSAA to investigate and neutralize. That could be where this game is going, but the implication was that we would be playing someone unlike Chris Redfield who wasn't some super strong BOW punisher. We'd be playing a vulnerable person new to this experience. Part of what made RE1 great was that even though Chris and Jill were part of a SWAT like team, they were all unaware of BOWs. The threats weren't known and studied around the globe. They were kept secrets let out and uncovered by you. Now the world of Biohazard has seen it all, so while you may be playing as someone new to the experience, it doesn't detract from the world's perspective. In America alone at the time of RE6, over 70,000 people died including the US President. It's hard to acknowledge this game in the series as a continuation of that and be a smaller scale concept by people who don't have the slightest idea of what to expect and are oblivious to current events.

Do you feel that Resident Evil can convincingly and successfully connect with the lore? Or do you feel a reboot is inevitable in spite of RE7 choosing to stick to the series as a sequel?

Smiley has received a thanks from: dvader

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2016 13:47 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

I think the Helicopter is a hint at something. What I'm seeing is it's basically another RE4 styled reboot but in the opposite direction.

So instead of rebooting the gameplay and story to a more action direction, it's rebooting the gameplay and story to a more horror direction.

How i see this playing out is the helicopter is implying that Umbrella was keeping tabs on this particular location for a certain reason. It could be very much like RE4 where it's not specifically related to the past but it relates to it's future. Umbrella keeping tabs on some kind of weird activity that they want to possibly use in future tests.. Basically something like that. Maybe Umbrella used this as a testing ground in the past . It's connected, it's the same universe but it's a new story.

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2016 2:07 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

Now playing: Resident Evil Revelations ×100
PSN: sevil_yelims
XBL: McDickins69
I mean, since this is post RE6 I would have figured the demo would at least acknowledge a world where Bioweapons could be right around the corner. After Tall Oaks, and the President's death, it really is strange to think this game can follow that and still go back to basics. At least the jump from RE3-4 was upping the ante where everything got bigger.

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2016 13:12 
Banned
Banned

The idea that the main character must be inexperienced or otherwise unprepared doesn't have any weight imo. Playing Lost In Nightmares as Chris super-BOW-punisher Redfield harked back to the tension of the original because I had low ammo and was running away. And then you lose your weapons and again you're running away. Game design creates survival horror and tension, not how (in)experienced the protagonist is.

If RE7 has any hope of successfully tying itself to the previous games, it's going to need to explain the current whereabouts and exploits of those super BOW punishers. If not, it's just going to be a new game full of easter eggs and nods that may as well be called Operation PT.

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2016 14:18 
Problem Eliminator
Banned

Smiley wrote:
I mean, since this is post RE6 I would have figured the demo would at least acknowledge a world where Bioweapons could be right around the corner. After Tall Oaks, and the President's death, it really is strange to think this game can follow that and still go back to basics. At least the jump from RE3-4 was upping the ante where everything got bigger.

Personally, I don't see this as an issue. I think it's an interesting dynamic for the RE universe to exist in a place where zombies and B.O.W.s are now commonplace, perhaps even as a metaphor for how the real world lives in fear of the shadow of terrorism and extremism. We know these groups exist, we know the threat they cause, and it's that reality that brings the fear and paranoia. The same exists within the RE world. People know mutants and creatures exist, and that can rob any potential sequel of a shock factor sure, but I disagree that it reduces the fear and I don't see it having an impact on why RE7 can't go back to basics.

Capcom have taken the logical step to move away from the tangled web of large-scale bioterrorism the series has been stuck in ever since 4. A smaller, more contained story is exactly what we need and this is not the first time this has been done either. People may laugh at Gun Survivor on the surface, but underneath it has one of the best stories in the entire series.

To discard all the backstory and 'reboot' just to sustain fear and a back to basics approach would alienate practically every fan out there.

TheBatMan has received a thanks from: You Died

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2016 15:41 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

TheBatMan wrote:
Smiley wrote:

Personally, I don't see this as an issue. I think it's an interesting dynamic for the RE universe to exist in a place where zombies and B.O.W.s are now commonplace, perhaps even as a metaphor for how the real world lives in fear of the shadow of terrorism and extremism. We know these groups exist, we know the threat they cause, and it's that reality that brings the fear and paranoia. The same exists within the RE world. People know mutants and creatures exist, and that can rob any potential sequel of a shock factor sure, but I disagree that it reduces the fear and I don't see it having an impact on why RE7 can't go back to basics.

Capcom have taken the logical step to move away from the tangled web of large-scale bioterrorism the series has been stuck in ever since 4. A smaller, more contained story is exactly what we need and this is not the first time this has been done either. People may laugh at Gun Survivor on the surface, but underneath it has one of the best stories in the entire series.

To discard all the backstory and 'reboot' just to sustain fear and a back to basics approach would alienate practically every fan out there.

100% Agree.

I'm very happy with the route they're with this thus far. The series NEEDED to scale back, it has lost all sense of itself and became something it never was. Now they can get back to what the core experience felt like while modernizing it all the same.

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2016 8:08 
Banned
Banned

Another thing it depends on is what's happened since Tall Oaks and China. The secret ending with Jake shows that BOW's are being deployed elsewhere and Chris was called away to a new mission, it'll be interesting to see if RE7 addresses these. Or, it could be that BOW's have been unheard of since those events, so a small scale incident would likely go by unnoticed. But realistically it would only take one little report of a zombie sighting or strange "murder" for the BSAA to go on full alert.

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2016 11:38 
Tofu Tea
Tofu Tea

Now playing: Batman: Arkham City
PSN: solarstar81
There definitely have to be references to the Tall Oaks and Lanshiang outbreaks. Raccoon City wouldn't be surprising. Maybe the name Ada Wong would be met with great contempt. I never did like the concept of the Family as there was absolutely nothing that foreshadowed them. Not to mention why they allowed Spencer to get away with so much.

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2016 4:41 
Banned
Banned

I know I've been pissing and moaning about this a lot, but I don't want this to feel more like Silent Hill than Resident Evil. The demo for Resident Evil 7: Biohazard didn't feel like anything RE related, which is a plus in that it's clearly being horror, yet vibes were pointing more towards Silent Hills or even Silent Hill 4: The Room. That isn't to say the final game will be the same, but it still feels odd to me. However, giving that the puzzles are still prepared out as being obscure, there's bound to be notable similarities.

Edit: I meant not the action RE games. Horror, yes. Action, not really.

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2016 11:57 
"You did a fine job."
"You did a fine job."

It didn't feel resident evil to you but it did to me far more than RE6 does.
Even for fans thinking its a silent hill clone, there's already a confirmation of actual enemies, RE combat, herb health system, puzzles. It sounds plenty in line with Resident Evil. Just because a teaser that's not from the game, and is meant to showcase atmosphere and exploration doesn't mean it won't be more like RE when we play the actual game

Also to the previous posts, I don't want this connected to RE6 at all. Make it a new story about an outbreak of something new, I want a fresh experience not bogged down by ridiculousness

danfromumbrella has received a thanks from: Mr. Rod
 [ 57 posts ] 

Forum index » Biohazard » Modern Biohazard

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next