1) Gaiden is a side-story and thanks to Resident Evil 4's plot, is not considered canon.
2) This is the first game that features Barry Burton as a playable character.
3) This is the second game that features Leon S. Kennedy as a playable character.
4) This is the first handheld game for the series in Japan, and the second in North America.
5) So far, this is the only game in the series to have been released in Europe before any other territory.
6) The developers of this game, unlike the rest of the series, were not Japanese, but European. The game was developed by M4.
7) This is the only game in the American series not to be rated M for Mature - it's rated T for Teen.
8) Leon is labeled as a former S.T.A.R.S. Member, although he was never actually a member of S.T.A.R.S.